AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a stand alone DVD recorder that includes a digital audio input?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Digital Audio Output, yes. Input, No. This has been discussed many times. Apparently, the content providers don't want consumers to have this capability in DVD recorders and it has never been offered (at least in the US) even though it is technically feasible.

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
I think?? Ramm mentioned a old Philips DVDR that he had that had both component and Digital audio in. I could be wrong about the Digital audio part but either way we sure aren't going to be seeing any new recorders with this feature thats for sure.

·
Registered
384 Posts
To reduce costs DVD recorders record two channel stereo or mono, whatever is broadcast, to avoid paying licensing fees to Dolby.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie6 /forum/post/14326084

To reduce costs DVD recorders record two channel stereo or mono, whatever is broadcast, to avoid paying licensing fees to Dolby.

This doesn't quite add up because most DVD recorders record audio as Dolby Digital 2.0 or PCM (some cheaper units record audio as mpeg1, layer 2 - mp2). So they would have to pay licensing fees anyway.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie6 /forum/post/14326084

This doesn't quite add up because most DVD recorders record audio as Dolby Digital 2.0 or PCM (some of the cheaper Chinese or Korean branded units record audio as mpeg1, layer 2 - mp2 to avoid licensing fees). So the major manufacturers would have to pay licensing fees anyway. So I still subscribe to the content provider conspiracy theory.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I believe it always is and always will be about money. The bottom line is to make money and if licensing Dolby 2.0 is cheaper than 5.1 that is what will be incorporated into the recorder. Costs are also reduced by not having to include the electronics to record 5.1. As was stated the Chinese use a method of recording audio that avoids Dolby licensing fees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts