AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! Just received a Digital to Analog Audio converter from Monoprice in order to connect my Panasonic P42G25 plasma to my Onkyo amp via RCA cables. Seemed simple enough, just connect a Toslink cable to the converter and an RCA link to the amp. (Attach the power adapter as well, of course.) And Tah-Dah! NOTHING!?!?!? Is this a compatibility issue? I was stoked to finally get some good old fashioned audio out from my Panny to my Onkyo! I'm so disappointed. Is there anything that works???

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
Verify the optical cables are fully inserted and protective caps removed.

Verify optical output is enabled on the TV and set to PCM stereo.

What is the "source"? TV's internal tuner?

Cable box?

DVD Player?

How's it connected to the TV? Component, HDMI, etc.?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
Verify the optical cables are fully inserted and protective caps removed.

Verify optical output is enabled on the TV and set to PCM stereo.

What is the "source"? TV's internal tuner?

Cable box?

DVD Player?

How's it connected to the TV? Component, HDMI, etc.?
It's just the TV connected with coaxial cable straight from the wall. No DVR/cable box or dish. I have Toslink cables to the converter and then RCA cables to the Onkyo. Think I got a dud? Can't seem to find a optical output setting on the P42G25 anywhere. I do have it set to Stereo as opposed to surround.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gums
Hi there! Just received a Digital to Analog Audio converter from Monoprice in order to connect my Panasonic P42G25 plasma to my Onkyo amp via RCA cables. Seemed simple enough, just connect a Toslink cable to the converter and an RCA link to the amp. (Attach the power adapter as well, of course.) And Tah-Dah! NOTHING!?!?!? Is this a compatibility issue? I was stoked to finally get some good old fashioned audio out from my Panny to my Onkyo! I'm so disappointed. Is there anything that works???
That depends on what converter you have and what sort of digital audio you are trying to hear. The $25 D->A audio converters from Monoprice only convert PCM digital audio, not the Dolby Digital audio present on most HDTV broadcasts. Some TVs let you switch the digital audio output to PCM.

There is a D->A audio converter made that will decode Dolby Digital audio:

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equip...-DD-2-AA.xhtml

May be cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

Will NOT decode Dolby! [...as noted by Monoprice.] I suspect this is the one you have.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gums /forum/post/20872171

It's just the TV connected with coaxial cable straight from the wall. No DVR/cable box or dish. I have Toslink cables to the converter and then RCA cables to the Onkyo. Think I got a dud? Can't seem to find a optical output setting on the P42G25 anywhere. I do have it set to Stereo as opposed to surround.

Look in your manual Page 58 under "DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminals." It says that all ATSC channels will be Dolby Digital, and all NTSC channels will be PCM. The Monoprice converter should work on the PCM NTSC channels, but not on the Dolby Digital ATSC channels. Scan your channels to see verify this. The Geffen converter will be needed if you need the Dolby Digital channels.

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equip...-DD-2-AA.xhtml

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.