AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Dell Digital Audio Receiver that's about two years old.

I have about 700 mp3's on my computer that will play thru it into my Receiver.

The Dell connects via ethernet on my Linksys DSL router. Works fine for me.

All the pay downloads it appears are in protected WMA format. These will not play on the Dell DAR... :(.

So, what to do. I don't buy much music, so the download services would be fine like MusicMatch which I currently have, but its WMA.

Are there any replacement units for the Dell that are that simple and will allow me to play both my mp3's and the protected WMA's on my stereo?

I can't seem to find any hardware units online, but I just started looking...directions please. I really don't need the kind with built-in hard drives or CD/DVDs. Just a simple one like the Dell DAR.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The Audiotron has beta firmware that allows playing protected wma files. I don't know how the beta is going. See this and do a search for Audiotron for more info.

Jay

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Hi, Bob. The PRISMIQ MediaPlayer can play standard WMA files, but does not yet support DRM (digital rights management)—although we are working on it. So, any WMA files that are encrypted/protected would not play.

The problem is universal to current set-top boxes: Microsoft has not released a version of Windows Media player technology for embedded systems which supports DRM. The only platforms for which Microsoft has released such technology are Windows 98 and later, as well as Pocket PC. We’re working with them to get a version for Linux (the MediaPlayer’s embedded operating system), and hope to be able to address the needs you have soon.

Meanwhile, we support more audio, video, and image formats than anybody else, all of the wireless standards (802.11a/b/g, plus add Internet radio, instant messaging, web browsing, and the coolest user interface on the planet.

I hope this information is useful to you.

Sincerely,

Brady O. Bruce

Vice President, Sales and Support

PRISMIQ, Inc."

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bwclark
The problem is universal to current set-top boxes: Microsoft has not released a version of Windows Media player technology for embedded systems which supports DRM. The only platforms for which Microsoft has released such technology are Windows 98 and later, as well as Pocket PC. We’re working with them to get a version for Linux (the MediaPlayer’s embedded operating system), and hope to be able to address the needs you have soon.
This statement doesn't seem correct considering that the current Audiotron beta version supports DRM. Here is a quote from the Audiotron beta doc
Quote:
Well folks, we've got a beta ready that will allow you to 'check out' DRM protected files for the AudioTron. Similar to how you transfer a file to a portable player, we have a plug in for Windows Media Player that lets you transfer these files to a new location (we recommend creating a share just for these files) so that the AudioTron can then play them back.
Jay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.