Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

Just had a question about digital cable (motorola box), and ReplayTV connectivity. This might have been answered somewhere here or in the FAQ, but I could not find it.

If I were using ReplayTV connected to my digital cable box, how does the guide system work? Does it work like a VCR in that if I were to record something off HBO (something that requires the cable box), I would have to set the ReplayTV channel to 3 or whatever?

If this is the case, then how could I schedule recordings of different shows at different times and on different channels? I am hoping that this is not the case, because then I might as well just stick with my VCR.

Is it even possible to record one channel while watching another without buying another PVR unit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
replay uses an IR blaster to control your cable box - works probably 98

% of the time...there are ways to make it more reliable...basically the cable box becomes an extension of the replay, you never change the channels on the cable box, on the replay does this

you can't watch a 'live' show while recording something, but you can watch another recorded program while recording a show...again there are ways to set it up so you can watch live tv while recording something on the replay (usually invovles splitting your cable signal before the replay)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Since I have a the full cable TV package with Comcast (previously AT&T Broadband) I have two cable boxes, each connected to a Showstopper.

By using an RCA remotely controlled switch box and the Pronto Remote, I can record two shows at the same time and also watch a third directly from the cable (no digital channels available).

Of course, I have two different IR Blasters, each connected to a different cable box and Showstopper.

It the unusual situation when three shows that I want are on the at the same time, and at least one is on the non-digital channels, I can even use my VCR (Uggggggghhhh!)

When the cable guy has to come for a service call, they need a lot of help to figure out my wiring.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I also have 2 Motorola's boxes one for normal watching and one for the replay. Since an extra box is only 5 bux a month I couldnt see why not.

The motorola I have uses a odd setting though 7400 is the code I use and it works 100%

What I did was on my shelf was stack the units one on top of the other and used a small square of cardboard and stuck the ir blaster to it, then used black duct tape to hold it over the ir port and put a couple of extra strips on either side to keep my remote from interfering when I was changing channels on the other box.

Recording pay per view is more or less like recording manually I remove the duct tape from the top so I can control the cable box with its remote and tell the replay to manually record for xx time and then start the the movie.

MrScsi

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can watch another program while recording if you split the line coming out of the wall - you just won't be able to get the higher (digital cable) channels for live viewing while recording something off the box.

I have 2 Replays. 1 is connected to my digital cable box. 1 is connected to just the regular cable line (so no upper or premium channels). Then I also have a cable line going straight into the TV so I can watch something while recording 2 other programs if need be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I guess it is safe to assume that:

ReplayTV cannot be set to record two different digital cable (high number) channels unless I am there to physically change the channel on the box when the time comes?

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you have the IR Blaster attached, the Showstoppr will tune the channels according to the guide.

Be aware that many channels don't always start on end at the correct time.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've had my IR blaster work 100% of the time..

Side note.. it took a while for my wife to accept the fact the showstopper (i.e. replay) had total control over the digital cable box.. of all things, this was the most difficult part.. Boy was she mad when she realized she couldn't change the channel while the replay was recording something.. To help her past this I removed the batteries from the cable company's remote.. You may want to consider getting a dedicated cable box for the replay if you can afford it..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.