AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sound and my screen go blank for a couple of seconds every couple of minutes.

This is my 2nd one in three weeks, sent the other back because it did the same thing. This new one worked for about 2 weeks and now its starting to do it also.

I have 2 other digital cable boxes in the house and they do not cut out so I do not think its the signal. What else could it be?

Cox Cable is the provider.

Sceintific Atlanta Explorer 8240HDC is the box.

·
Registered
22,852 Posts
Is the problematic box the "first" drop of the feed from the cableco or after a few splitters and/or amps?

Are all boxes the same make/model?

Are they all the same connection type (HDMI, component) from STB to TV?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/18285764

Is the problematic box the "first" drop of the feed from the cableco or after a few splitters and/or amps?

Are all boxes the same make/model?

Are they all the same connection type (HDMI, component) from STB to TV?

Cable comes into the house and is split on a 9-way splitter to each room. I connecting to the AVR/TV using Digital audio (Coax) and component video cables.

I use the same box in the bedroom with the same connections and I do not get drop outs.

·
Registered
22,852 Posts
So... to be explicit,

you have the main feed, into a "9-way" splitter and all of the drops (coax runs) from the splitter are the same length?

Is it a distribution amp?

What's difference in cable runs of the problematic TV and those that work fine?

9 coax runs with no problem and one with a problem using the same cable box?

Is this a "new" cable run? Did you install the coax yourself?

As a second thought...

You mentioned AVR. If you run audio and video from the STB through the AVR to the TV, that would be suspect if all other TV's work fine. Try bypassing the AVR?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
You can also swap the box with another from a different room and see if the problem follows the box or stays at that location!!

This can help to isolate the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same problem, but with audio only.

My cable line/feed from outside is split once into 2 lines (1 to the set top box and 1 to the modem). A line then goes directly to the box, other than a wall outlet that technically interrupts the line.

I previously had the box output HDMI to my tv for video and coax audio out to the receiver simultaneously. This worked but had occasional audio drops for approx. 2-3 seconds. I tried via optical out but that dropped very often and for different durations. Coax was much more stable.

I recently upgraded receivers and now output only via HDMI to the receiver. The audio now drops more often and regularly but for a much shorter duration, maybe a split second.

I tried connecting via HDMI directly to the tv again and using the tv speakers, and it still dropped, but it seemed to be slightly less often/obvious... but still happening. Very similarly to HDMI out to the receiver.

I'm assuming it's the box, but wanted to get more info before I try to get it swapped from Comcast.

No other audio, or video for that matter, dropping from any other source component. Blu-ray via HDMI, CD via analog or coax digital. Both to the receiver only.

The digital cable box is a Motorola DCH3200, and the provider is Comcast as mentioned. The coax and optical digital cables are Monster, and the HDMI are Belden and/or Tartan ( Blue Jeans Cables , although you might find a better deal on newegg) 1.3a/b certified.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts