AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been reading reviews on some RP HDTVs and it seems that alot of people seem to think that if you are using the TV for watching regular cable(non-hd) that it looks worse than a good old analogue TV.

basically my question is this: if i am gonna be watching standard digital cable(analogue signal) on an HDTV, is the picture quality going to suffer?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'm not sure it will suffer, but it will not look like a HD signal. I think some people expect it to or to look better than their old analog set and it generally does not. The other thing, is that most people upgrade to a larger display and in doing so they notice more trash than they did on their prior smaller display.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
Unless your digital channel is directly from source (like HDTV channels), those channels will only look as good as your Cable Co gets or after whatever digital coversion it does which usually are like crap.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Seems like an impossible query to answer. It clearly depends on the huge variations in signal quality, analog and digital, between cable firms, coupled with huge variations between all the display devices. Basically, if you greatly enlarge images that are poor but passable on a small-screen set, they're likely to be unacceptable.

On one large cable system (NYC's Time Warner), using a 64-inch RPTV with 9-inch CRTs, digital (SDTV and HDTV) or analog generally look very good. Some channels, at some times, aren't so hot; other digital channels, often SDTV premium movies, appear remarkably good most of the time. -- John

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
NatGun:

My experience with digital cable is similar to John Mason's. I have a DLP with a DVI-output set-top-box (Pace 550). I have to admit however that I watch a lot less SD programming now...:D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we have comcast digital cable here in boston, generally it looks pretty good, but i have never seen it on a tv bigger than 32". if you havent guessed im in the market for my first big-screen HDTV. mostly it sounds like the reception will be the same, its just that the size is so large it magnifies the flaws in the signal. sounds like a HDTV wont make things worse, just make flaws stand out. this was the answer i was looking for, thanks guys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mnilan
NatGun:

My experience with digital cable is similar to John Mason's. I have a DLP with a DVI-output set-top-box (Pace 550). I have to admit however that I watch a lot less SD programming now...:D
I have a 467 and Pace 550 via DVI. If I set the Pace to output 720P I can use the # button to switch between "normal" "stretch" and "Zoom." If I set the Pace output to "Pass" I get a full screen picture all of the time and can use the # button to toggle between "1080i" and "normal." Neither Pace nor Samsung can explain what is going on. I understand that "Pass" simply permits the inbound signal to the Pace to pass straight through without any scaling. Presumably the 467 DLP is doing the scaling instead. This seems to be a more pleasant result because "normal" whild resembling "stretch" seems to have less distortion. "1080i" seems to overscan like "zoom" but not as badly. How does this compare with your experience? Also do you know of any way to permanently seldect "pass"? Each time the Pace is turned off and restarted I have to reselect "pass" from the display button in the box itself.

Tom

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
tdavis1:

My Pace was provided by Time Warner Cable and I do not have a manual for it. The remote control doesn't have a "pass" button nor do I see it on the face of the box. On the settings menu there is a "bypass" option but it doesn't seem to do anything at all. PM me and we can take this offline.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
My experience is that analog (non hd) sets do a much better job on SD than HD sets - regardless of size.

I just looked over new sets at my local Sears and found that the picture quality on SD was inversely related to the price of the set.

In general, CRT based sets did ok with SD, while the LCDs and the Sammy did most poorly. As an example, they flipped on ESPN SD where a golf tournament was on. The golf ball looked ok on the CRT based projections, but was really fuzzy on the LCD sets and the Sammy.

Exact opposite with HD. The LCD sets and the Sammy were bright, sharp and most colorful of the bunch.

I came away concluding that I would not be happy with a HD ready set if I had to watch SD for most viewing. It would be like trying to watch TV with my glasses off!

I'd have to watch all DVD or HD content to have one of these sets make sense for me. Either I'm too critical or the sets really are that bad at handling SD signals.

I have a CRT based Hitachi Ultravision projection unit that is about 10 years old. Regular cable - not digital - looks great on this thing. DVDs are excellent. My cable company just started offering HD, but none of the networks are available. Until there is something other than the standard PBS, Discovery HD (you only need so many bugs and sharks in your life), sports; and the old crappy movies on HBO and Showtime, you're paying an awful lot for not much.

As HD comes into prime time, the investment will make more sense. I at least need to be able to watch the things we watch today - mostly network - only better quality picture and sound.

I was probably spoiled as I was an early DVD adopter. I have seen great picture and sound quality on my current set via this medium. I want content - which is what HD seems to lack at this point. From what I've read, even stations that are broadcasting in HD don't always have HD content.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mnilan
tdavis1:

My Pace was provided by Time Warner Cable and I do not have a manual for it. The remote control doesn't have a "pass" button nor do I see it on the face of the box. On the settings menu there is a "bypass" option but it doesn't seem to do anything at all. PM me and we can take this offline.
On the front of the Pace there is a "display" button. If you push this you can bring up an on-screen menu. The first item is resolution. If you press the center button of the five on the right it will highlight the value for resolution. By pressing the top button you can toggle between the various choices. One of those choices is "pass" which feeds the digital signal through the Pace in it's original resolution. It appears to me that the DLP then performs the scaling and digital processing. The PQ seems much better to me in that the scaling is less distorted and the overall quality is better. In addition it always fills the entire screen and the # button on the remote toggles between 1080i and "normal" I use normal since it does not seem to overscan. The only drawback for me is that I have to manualy select "pass" this way each time I turn the set on. BTW the Pace seems to default to 720P which can be determined by looking for high definition in the display which when lit indicates that the resolution shown in the menu is the current one.

Tom

·
Registered
84 Posts
Would an external scaler/deinterlacer improve picture quality? I understand Silicon Image produces some very good units

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think that the DLP with its Farudja 2310 should deinterlce and scale about as good as anything especially since it avoids any interconnection artifact.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Tom:

Thanks. I tried it out but can't tell much from my precursory comparisons. I'll look more closely this evening.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Many people believe the brochures that tell them SD will be up-converted to HD. It's simply not possible. SD was never meant to be shown on 40+ inch TV's. There is not enough resolution, and even the best up-converters can't fix that.

It's not a fair fight between SD and HD. Instead compare SD on an HDTV to SD on an SD of the SAME SIZE. I guarantee you'll like the HDTV better. Everything is going to HD over the next few years anyway, don't get hung up on SD!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have owned a HLN5065 since June. SD digital or analogue for the most part comes through very nicely. I use a composite cable. Sometimes the PQ is as almost as good as my 931 with DVD. And yes at times and with certain channels it sucks. I think the trick is working with the cable co. to make sure you have a clean signal.. From there you can take care of your end with Quality cable and hookups. The only thing that annoys me with this TV. is internal reflections. FYI.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.