Registered
15,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....>gasp

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
thanks Rich-

You poor soul - 'Springer', 'Oprah', 'Dr.Phil', -LMAO - now you know what real NTSC is all about-Eh?

Bruce

·
Registered
15,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Badga,

Yes, getting a Rogers HDTV box has been my intention. The non-HD cable box I'm using came free with a new channel package. I've seen Rogers HDTV feeds on most brands of plasma - almost every retailer in Toronto uses it to display their gear (suckering in many customers who, unaware they are looking at a pristine HDTV feed, shell out the money for that shiny new TV, thinking they will be getting that kind of picture on every channel).

I've been told that the Rogers HDTV digital cablel box is a different critter from the other boxes. A salesman, who seemed knowledgeable, said that it essentially digitizes everything in a manner that your TV will see as an HDTV signal. In other words, my display will "lock" on the aspect ratio of whatever channel it's fed, be it HDTV or NTSC. Therefore, one cannot change the aspect ratio of the NTSC feed to fill the screen....meaning no stretching of 4:3 images is available to prevent burn-in.

I don't know if this is true or not. I won't know until I try because, unfortunately, the people on the Rogers "tech" line are clueless 17 year olds who don't even know what a component connection is. Sigh.

Rich.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a hard time believing that the HD descrambler locks out aspect ratio changes. I checked the digitalhomecanada forums and there was no mention of this when i did a search on 3100HD (the box rogers uses) with the exception of some who's TV's did not have adjustment capabilities.

·
Registered
15,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ericbee,

No, I have no lock-up on my S-video input. My cable box is going in the S-Video in of the Panny and I have access to all Panny aspect ratios.

Rich.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.