AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Channel Master 3016 UHF/VHF/FM antenna mounted in my garage that I want to use solely for FM radio reception. Can that antenna signal be combined in the garage with my main digital cable signal into a single coax run? It would be split it at an indoor wall jack to feed a digital cable receiver (not OTA capable) and the antenna connector on an analog AM/FM receiver. Is this possible?

Thanks.

These pics might help:

·
Registered
483 Posts
The box labeled "coax combiner" on your "after" dwg would have to be pretty sophisticated; a passive splitter/combiner would not work well.

Most CATV systems "reuse" the FM band for channels 95-96-97, so you would need a pretty expensive suck-out (band stop) filter to remove those channels from the CATV feed if present on your system. The leg from your antenna would also need a band pass filter to pass only 88-108 MHz, 'cause you wouldn't want any (undesired) TV signals from your antenna getting into the cable distribution system to "beat"witrh the desired ones from the CATV system. Finally, all the above should be implemented with an active summing device (amplifier) so that no CATV signal could go back up the cable to the antenna. They take a dim view of you re-radiating their CATV signals!

Is it at all practical to just run a separate RG6 or RG59 from your antenna to the FM receiver? Even if you had to pay somewone to "fish" the new cable through your walls, it would probably be cheaper and more effective than trying to get two signals that are basically hostile to each other on the same coax run.

Hope this helps,

Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:eek: I had a sneakin' suspicion it would need to be a lot more sophisticated than I had hoped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori84
Is it at all practical to just run a separate RG6 or RG59 from your antenna to the FM receiver? Even if you had to pay somewone to "fish" the new cable through your walls, it would probably be cheaper and more effective than trying to get two signals that are basically hostile to each other on the same coax run.
It would be pretty challenging, but it COULD be done. I'll get my technician, er . . . wife, on it right away.

Thanks loads for the feedback. :)

Dave

·
Registered
164 Posts
To make it work you would also need to trap channel 6 from your cable, since it is immediately adjecent to the FM band. Channel 6 audio is 87.75 and FM begins at 88.1. It's going to be simpler to run a second cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.