AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to set up a HTPC but I have digital cable. All of the pci cards I've seen only have 125 channel tuners. Is there a card that could work with digital cable and pick up the hige definition channels that I get?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Yes and no.

What you'll need to do is either buy an external ir emitter that will send the change channel signal to your digital cable box, or run a serial cable from your computer to your cable box (if cable box is compatible). Also, you'll want to download a program that is capable of issuing these commands such as showshifter.

Alternatively, the creative digital vcr capture/tuner card can control your cable box via IR but it records to a proprietary format that is a pita to rip to cd or dvd if you plan on archiving.

Russ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the current tuners don't support the digital cable and I would have to just capture the output from the cable box and record it that way?

·
Registered
132 Posts
nothing except your cable box can allow you use watch digital cable. that's set to change later this year with digital cable-ready hdtv's but it's gonna take years for it to make to the pc, if ever.

you don't even need a tuner. you can use any capture card with your cable box's s-video out as long as the software you want to use supports the card.

you can't get hd content onto your computer through cable. the future fusion iii will be able to get the free hd channels.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It's all about proprietary cable protocols. Analog cable isn't encrypted or anything so the TV tuner cards can capture analog cable signal. However, digital cable is encrypted and a set-top box is required. The only way to get a TV tuner card that can decrypt a digital cable signal is if the TV tuner card was made by the cable company or a set-top box company affiliated with the cable company.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DirtySwede
Thanks for the input. It looks like I'm just going to have to capture the ouput from my cable box.
I capture the digital cable channels with my Creative PVR card. However its by using the sivideo connection and stereo audio out of the HD cable box (Motorola 5100). So the quality is the same as what I capture on the analog cable channels so at least I can record HBO and Showtime HD movies in either wide-screen or 4*3 etc. I have to watch HD shows live to get HD resolutions or DD 5.1. I suppose thats what you meant by capturing the output of the box?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Anyone reading have "digital" cable from ComCast in Northern California? Has anyone had success with PVR and the box they use? Its a big Motorola box without svideo and unfortunately for cable its my only option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RalphArch
I capture the digital cable channels with my Creative PVR card. However its by using the sivideo connection and stereo audio out of the HD cable box (Motorola 5100). So the quality is the same as what I capture on the analog cable channels so at least I can record HBO and Showtime HD movies in either wide-screen or 4*3 etc. I have to watch HD shows live to get HD resolutions or DD 5.1. I suppose thats what you meant by capturing the output of the box?
I ordered the Creative PVR card and should get it in a day or so. I too have the Motorola 5100 and was wondering how you set up the IR blaster to change the channels? I have read on some boards that the Motorola digital boxes are fickle about being controlled with the IR Blaster.

Thanks,

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.