AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a HT with front projection and 102" screen. Of all the details that need chasing down I was not aware I would need to revisit my cable service provider. I have read the searchable posts on cable v. satellite and Dish v. Direct and understand various geographical areas and folks will have their properties and preferances.

What surprised me was inferences that digital cable was not at all all digital - most channels still being anaolgue which would be a deal killer with the large screen. Is this so? If so I need to make a decison between Dish and Direct, which will simply be a down and dirty cost vrs programming comparison and I will have to live with the result. I was hoping to switch from my current basic cable and small TV's to digital cable and live happily ever after!!

So, I visited the Dish website so far and noted for HDTV, (only on a few channels), requires two dishes and different receivers - (read more costs). Can one get one dish, one HDTV receiver, and 2 more 'regular type" receivers for other small TV's on either satellite or digital cable (if it turns out that all channles are in fact digital)? Would Dish or Direct differ in this regard?

What I need at a minimum is all digital channels and then possibly if the HDTV is something that we will watch maybe HDTV. I think the HDTV receivers are different than thedigital receivers?

Many thanks - the devil does seem to be in the details.....

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Not all channels in digital cable are in digital form. Local channels are particular are in analog for legal/political reasons ( read money ). I am not a fan of Dish network but not for the reasons you have cited. I dislike their equipment but in so far as their picture quality I would not say it is appreciably different than D*. The Dish satellites are spread out further than D*'s so you need 2 separate dishes. With D* you can use one elliptical dish that can accommodate three LNBs. With either Dish or D* you can hook up both SD and High Def IRDs. Other than sports ( on D* ) and foreign language channels ( on Dish ) I do not believe there is much of a difference between the two services- except there is a limit of 6 IRDs/account with Dish and no such limitations with D*.

I would go with one of the DBS providers.

Alan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alan,

Thanks for your infomation. Clearly I need Satellite to get all digital signals. I'll check out their programming and pkg costs and have to decide. One satellite dish with a HDTV reciever for the front projection and then regular digital receivers for the regular TV's seems to be the answer.

Do their receivers actually receive the signal like in a tuner as well as unscramble a HDTV signal in the case of HDTV for my projector and digital signals for teh regular digital receivers in the case of lower bandwidth signals to display directly to a regular TV" Or do I need their box and a tuner I still need to buy? I am asking becuae I have one old set form 1990 that has only 41 channels and I now use a VCR as a tuner to display all the channels on the TV's channel 3.

Tom

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Standard definition IRDs are self contained tuners ( IRD stands for integrated receiver/descrambler ). You need only have the IRD and it will output its signal on channel 3 or 4 like a vcr or in the form of composite or S-video. Some IRDs will offer digital outputs as well as analog audio outputs.

High Def IRDs not only will receive and decode High Def and standard Def satellite signals but they also contain ATSC and NTSC tuners as well. You can connect you satellite feed, off air antenna for local high def programming and NTSC off air or cable signals. High Def IRDs give you the additional connectivity of component video, VGA, and DVI as well as composite and S-video.

You cannot use the tuner built into your TV to receive a Satellite signal. The IRD will demodulate and unscramble the signal. For your older TV you can view programming on Ch3 or on a video input.

Alan

·
Registered
226 Posts
Dish is coming out with "SuperDish" I think next month. It will look at 3 Birds and is much larger. It will enable you to get the HDTV package as well as all the SDTV stuff. To get a newSuperDish and HDTV IRD will cost around $300-$400 if you are an existing customer. I know it sucks to have to pay all that money up front as well as the monthly fee for HDTV when cable HDTV costs alomost nothing up front.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fishhead65,

Yes nothing like paying more, but them HDTV is not a done deal for us with the amount of source HDTV still limited. Looking at Direct TV last night; they were$ 399 for the HDTV hardware package too, but then they charge $49 for each extra standard receiver and a $15spiff for shipping/installation. There hardware does not seem to be as integrated in their pricing plans, and thefore more confusing to track down due to the a la carte approach.

·
Registered
226 Posts
tcbarb,

If I could get for ~$150 up front then the 10.00/month fee I would do it. I really just want it for football and other sports and the occasional moive on their HD movie channel. It pisses me off that they don't consider a a better price for existing customers (6 years!). I wish I was about 20 miles closer to NYC then I could pick up at least some HDTV on-air. Maybe the price will drop over the next year when they see nobody is jumping at their BS initial offer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.