Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a few questions.

I currently have a Toshiba 34HF84 widescreen TV and I subscribe to Rogers digital cable in Canada.

My question is, how much difference is there between the digital channels and analog channels? My set-top digital cable box does not have digital audio output, but I am eying a model that does.

Will movies on digital cable broadcasts have 5.1 audio when connected to a 5.1 receiver? Also, are there SD digital broadcasts that are native 16:9 format?

Also, are there any recommended cable set-top boxes with features that I should look for? I know FutureShop sells the Motorola DCT2500 that has optical oudio output. Anything I should know/look for in a digital box?

Lastly, when building a HTPC, will I need a DIGITAL TV tuner card?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viffer5
Hello everyone. I have a few questions.

I currently have a Toshiba 34HF84 widescreen TV and I subscribe to Rogers digital cable in Canada.

My question is, how much difference is there between the digital channels and analog channels? My set-top digital cable box does not have digital audio output, but I am eying a model that does.
It depends on your local cable system, some the digital looks better some (mine included) the analog channels look better.
Quote:
Will movies on digital cable broadcasts have 5.1 audio when connected to a 5.1 receiver? Also, are there SD digital broadcasts that are native 16:9 format?
Again it depends on your cable system, but most premium channels are usually broadcast in 5.1 most "regular" channels are not.
Quote:
Also, are there any recommended cable set-top boxes with features that I should look for? I know FutureShop sells the that has optical oudio output. Anything I should know/look for in a digital box?
I would just "rent" one from the cable company that way when a better one comes out you can always get your old one replaced. Besides that box is $200 (on sale) our cable company onlt charges $5 a month for an HD box so it would take you 40 months (over three years) for that box to pay for its self and to see any real savings. We call that false economy down here in the states.

Quote:
Lastly, when building a HTPC, will I need a DIGITAL TV tuner card?
I think so, but that would be a better question for teh HTPC forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.