AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen this topic come up before so I thought I would ask.

I have digital cable in my family room. I have a Home theater in my basement run by an HTPC (Radeon Based with ATI TV Wonder card. I currently have the analog cable running through my VCR and to MY TV Wonder card. The reason for this is to get sound to my receiver and change channels through my remote via VCR. I tried to add my digital cable box into the mix but I am not successfully able to get the signal to pass through. I can use the exact same setup however, to my 36" TV in the family room with no problem. I haven't yet tried hooking the cable box directly to the tuner card yet, but does anyone know if this might be a limitation of the ATI TV Wonder?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bumping

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
DIZ2: I've reread your post 3 times and still can't understand it. It just goes to show you that my "Reading Comprehension" scores got it about right... :( ;)

What exactly are you trying to do? You have a digital cable box upstairs feeding an HTPC downstairs? Does your digital cable box have an s-video output?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dan,

I'm not trying to do anything that extravegant. I am relocating the cable box to my theater room. Upon first attempt I tried to run it through my HI-FI VCR to get the benefit of the sound from the VCR tuner. When I conneted it that way I got no picture. I haven't tried hooking the box directly to the tuner card yet, but I can't understand why it wouldn't work through the VCR. The other reason I want the VCR in the config is so I can still record shows.

Dan

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think what you're trying to do is un digital cable in to an analog reciever (your VCR or WinTV). This won't work - you need your digital cable box to decode & output the video/audio then play with it from there.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
my take on this is that you are trying to run coax from cable box to vcr, coax from vcr to tuner card. This should work just the same as with your TV. BUT, the VCR will need to be on channel 3 or 4, as well as your tuner card set to channel 3 or 4. If you could verify that connecting the VCR in between the cable box and the TV you have succes with works, than you might get somewhere. If you run the cable box out to your VCR than you may have better success using RCA cable to your tuner card and sound card, or svideo from VCR to your tuner card, if you have it.

You would be MUCH better off if you have or can find a cable box with an SVIDEO out and run this into you tuner card. I don't see why cable companies bother to sell digital cable and then only offer coax connection on channel 3 or 4. Let alone the fact that they don't offer even better connections than svideo.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by luvmytivo
I think what you're trying to do is un digital cable in to an analog reciever (your VCR or WinTV). This won't work - you need your digital cable box to decode & output the video/audio then play with it from there.
What do you mean? Digital cable still caries the analog signal, any tuner will work with it.

Obsidience

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.