AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have digital cable and want to capture video with something like the WinTV PVR-150. Is this possible to do without a cable box from my cable company? If so, then is it possible to record the premium channels such as HBO? Would I have better luck with a QAM card like the Fusion or will a regular MPEG2 capture card work?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I tried what you are suggesting with Charter cable. I was using the Fusion 5 card. I was able to tune all the analog channels (in my case 3-32), but I was not able to tune any of the digital channels (not just HD but plain digital, also). I was very dissapointed because I wanted to do exactly what you are asking (minus the premium channels).

You are supposed to be able to tune in any channels that aren't encrypted. This will only be the analog stations that you cable provider broadcasts to you and possibly some digital ones (like your HD locals). Some people have been able to get a few more stations than that, but I am sure you will not be able to tune premium channels like HBO.

Somebody else chime in here if you want to correct or add to what I have said.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the Fusion3 QAM and I can get 'digital' channels. I can also get unecrypted hdtv channels as well. Your best bet is to find someone with the same provider in your area to confirm / deny if this will work or not. I've even heard of it not working in one city while working in the neighboring city and same provider.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My provider is Charter as well, so it looks like I'm out of luck. Guess it's time to put together an HTPC and move it into the living room. :) It's too bad Charter doesn't even offer HD in my area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.