AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of upgrading my monitor. I have read that high-end HDTV ready monitors (xbr or tau) look bad with basic cable. I have digital cable. Will that improve the picture while I wait to invest in a dish or get a converter box? If I get a converter box do I need a dish?

Dan

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Presume you have both digital and analog cable. Feeding your cable directly into a set and running a channel scan registers only the analog channels. If you're getting suspect pictures now with either, problems will be magnified by larger or line-doubled images. Cable quality is very dependent on local companies, how extensively they're using hybrid fiber/coax hardware to reduce noise and other interference, and how much compression they use for digital channels. I've been on an analog cable system for a few decades and a digital/analog setup for about one year. Images from both, even blown up to 7 ft. starting in 1972 and fed into a 64-in. HDTV starting last year, have always been excellent. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I am also planning on my next DVD (my Sony died) and was considering a progressive scan player as eventually I will get HDTV. One follow-up question--I am guessing an HDTV ready set is digital by default? If so, will the progressive scan function work on it prior to hooking up the HD converter?

Dan

·
Registered
348 Posts

Quote:
I am guessing an HDTV ready set is digital by default? If so, will the progressive scan function work on it prior to hooking up the HD converter
Dan,

Most all HDTV ready sets will accept a 480p output from a progressive scan DVD player. A progressive scan DVD will work fine independent of any HD decoder/converter. A small correction, but an HDTV set is not really digital. HDTV is broadcast over the air in a digital format. You need an HDTV decoder (STB) to decode. Once it is decoded into 1080i RGB or Component signals, it is analog. A HDTV set that has either RGB or Component inputs is really just an analog device. HDTV ready means that the device can accept a 1080i signal, which is higher bandwidth than the 480i analog broadcasting system. Hopefully that makes sense.

Chris

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Agree you should be able to enjoy progressive DVD images on your HDTV before acquiring a HDTV tuner/decoder. I'd suggest a Toshiba SD-6200, which I see elsewhere is going for under $400 in some places, roughly half what I paid a year ago (street price). There are now newer and better (and costlier) models, but this one has generally been well received. I outlined my initial experience with progressive DVD here . -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone tried or seen the new Panasonic RP91? It is available for $450 or so around here but hasn't been out that long, so any bugs may still be unfound.

Dan

·
Registered
856 Posts
Dan ... I have the Sony KV-32XBR400 and at first I just used it with analog (no box) cable. There was more noticable pixelation on this set than on my 6-year-old 25" set. When I switched to Digital cable (AT&T Broadband) I was surprised that I noticed an improvement not only on the high channel numbers that are listed as digital, but also on all other channels. It still wasnt perfect but it was a noticable improvement. When I switched to DirecTV I noticed even more improvement, and obviously the improvement continues up the line when viewing DVD's (mine is not progressive, and with how good it looks, I could hardly justify paying too much more to get a progressive scan DVD player) and HDTV. I saw the XBR450 series in the store, and wish I had the added features.

------------------

Rick W. Scogland

My Email: [email protected]

My Home Theater:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000169.html

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I just purchased a DVD player. It is a JVC 65GB with progressive scan and 3:2 pulldown. It is available at Best Buy and Circuit City for $249. It doesn't have DD decoding but my 5.1 receiver has that so it is unnecessary in the DVD player. The picture is as good as any DVD player.

Rick

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How long have you had the JVC? I saw it at Circuit City but was scared off by some reliability issues on consumerreview.com. I just had a Sony560 die and found that several others had similar issues with it. I am leery of players with a history of trouble right now.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have had the JVC XV-S65GD for about 3 weeks with no problems. This DVD player has only been available for less than a month so I doubt if there is any track record. However I trust JVC because my JVC VCRs have outlasted any others that I have ever had.

Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.