AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
That is saying you have a 16x9 panel so the edges of a 17x9 image will not be projected.
Hilarious. Most of the listed pros/cons do not exist then!
Just motorisation and quality of lens.

That said, we're looking at twice the price to get a secondhand Runco. Would it be twice as good?
I'm still thinking that for a 'small' cost of the Anamorphot 50, I could get a nice increase in brightness (my primary reason for lens purchase - to improve HDR), sharpness, with perhaps minimal tradeoffs. I don't think I'll be going backwards, just not as insanely great forwards as the ISCO 3 (at probably three times the price).

I know, I know, a lens is likely to be a long term investment so $4000 over ten years sound cheap at $400/year...

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
You can find a used ISCO IIIL for about the same price as the SLR Magic 50. Actually, there’s one on eBay right now that I know you can make an offer for under a grand. Looks to be in perfect shape. And no, it’s not mine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can find a used ISCO IIIL for about the same price as the SLR Magic 50. Actually, there’s one on eBay right now that I know you can make an offer for under a grand. Looks to be in perfect shape. And no, it’s not mine.

Thanks for the tip. But where? I can't find it...

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Thanks for the tip. But where? I can't find it...
It was sold minutes after I posted that.

Best way to keep up to the minute on new listings is to create a saved search with the term "anamorphic lens". You will get all of them but this way it does not limit you to just ISCO ones since Runco also sold their a-lenses using their brand even though they were basically re-branded ISCOs. Actually, I got my IIIL lens that way and it was not even listed using the ISCO name but instead Marantz since the slider had been re-branded and it was listed as such.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just bought this lens, the SLR 1.33 50 Anamorphot and set it up with my Epson TW9300. This lens is awesome!
The normal near focus makes it that you can vertically and horizontally focus at pixel level. It’s crazy sharp, it doesn’t soften the image at all but makes for a sharper image with the lens in place then without it!
There are no colour infringements or any other image degradations.
Don’t be afraid to use this lens, you won’t be disappointed!!!
I’ve a/b it to an Isco II and it’s sharper, more detailed and without colour bending and stuff.
Amazing lens. And the money?
Planning to use this slr magic anamorphot 50 on my HT5550. Can you please post some pics of how you mounted it.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
About to pull the trigger on SLR magic 1.33x lens. Anyone has tried SLR Magic Anamorphot-65 1.33x v.s. the 50mm version?
You can buy a gently used, genuine HT A-lens for that price and get better results without compromise. Keep watch on Ebay and on the member trade/sales forum on this and other HT sites.

My ISCOIIIL with motorized sled cost less than that camera lens.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You can buy a gently used, genuine HT A-lens for that price and get better results without compromise. Keep watch on Ebay and on the member trade/sales forum on this and other HT sites.

My ISCOIIIL with motorized sled cost less than that camera lens.
Yeah, I dunno... I've been watching. I think it's more likely that you got a great deal than it is you paid the going rate.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Yeah, I dunno... I've been watching. I think it's more likely that you got a great deal than it is you paid the going rate.
There is one right now on ebay that has been up for a week or so for less than 2k...I bet you can make an offer for at least a couple of Franklins lower.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Planning to use this slr magic anamorphot 50 on my HT5550. Can you please post some pics of how you mounted it.
Got the 50mm lens off ebay. I have used a panamorp UH480 previously with my benq ht5550. I can attest it works great with the benq I am using 1.4 zoom on 140 inch screen. Image is much sharper and brighter than panamorph. I am sure 65mm will be much better. Happy with my purchase.:). Now I need to sell my panamorph here or on ebay.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Got the 50mm lens off ebay. I have used a panamorp UH480 previously with my benq ht5550. I can attest it works great with the benq I am using 1.4 zoom on 140 inch screen. Image is much sharper and brighter than panamorph. I am sure 65mm will be much better. Happy with my purchase.:). Now I need to sell my panamorph here or on ebay.
I'd be interested in that UH480.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
One more thing that no one has mentioned, or noticed, these SLR Magic lenses were designed and intended to be used to a camera that is filming/recording an image, not projecting one.

You have to understand that lenses are meant to do one of two things, project or capture. They were never designed to do BOTH. The ISCO, Panamorph, Schneiders, and other projector lenses were desinged to throw/project an image a great distance (distance from the front of the projector to your screen) and were optimized for that focus plane. Capture/recording lenses were designed and optomized to take an image from a great distance (your subject) and then sent/projected to a very limited distance (the camera sensor) which is usually a few millimeter or inches behind the lens.

In my experience, there has never been a capture/recording lens that has ever been produced that can project an image from a projector to a screen as well or even nearly as well as a projection lens. If this was the case then we could all use different "camera" lenses on projectors. And conversely, you will never find a projector lens that will outperform a camera lens when used on a recording device.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dennis
Sent you a PM

·
Registered
171 Posts
Anyone else try this lens out?

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Do anyone have a picture of how it's installed? Will this work with a Sim2 Mico 50?

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I am wondering if anyone has more information on using the SLR Magic Anamorphic lens with your PJ. I have an Epson 6040ub and am moving to a 2:35:1 screen. I am no way interested in investing $1K+ for a lens, but the price of the SLR Magic is making me intrigued. Any updates or feedback from those who did it?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts