AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I subscribe to Cablevision on Long island. My TV with a built-in digital tuner receives basic digital channels without a cablebox. Thats great. I also have a TV without a digital tuner that I would also like to receive these basic channels. I bought an analog to digital converter box, but this didn't work, it didn't pick up any digital signals.

anyone have any ideas on a box that would wotk???

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
You need a QAM tuner, which is what your TV has for a digital tuner. The box you bought might just be an ATSC tuner (for use with an antenna) that is useless for cable channels.

There are one or two standalone QAM tuners, but a DVD recorder would probably be the most widespread item with one installed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Your response is quite helpful. Any recommendations on a DVD player???

Also, I hear that Cablevision encripted the digital channels in NYC. Have you heard anything about them doing it on LI ???

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
The Magnavox MDR515H/F7 is the most recommended DVD recorder (DVD players won't have tuners, so it will need to be a recorder.) It costs about $280 through Walmart online (not in stores), and has a harddrive to serve as a poor man's DVR. Amazon has the MDR513H/F7 (smaller hard drive) for $228. J&R occasionally has the older model, the H2160, as a refurb for $160 or so, but I think right now they're sold out.

I have no idea what Cablevision will do in terms of encryption, but it's probably pretty likely at some point in the future.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I think the existing FCC waiver only covers Manhattan because they demonstrated a huge problem with theft of limited basic by apartment dwellers breaking into junction boxes inside apartment buildings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts