AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/19630093


Thanks Lee, although the release list is completely devoid of material shot in 4k digitally.


These are all transfers from 35mm or straight 2k upconversions.

35mm scanned at the camera negative can't yield a 4K transfer?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
a normaly 35 mm copy not have more than 2k inside.


see here also a nice comparison between a MEDIUM FORMAT slide film

and a digital 36x24mm sensor and a big digital leica sensor.


compare the detail the medium format slide film show with the digital camera with full format sensor 24x36mm.
http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/Kle...a-Mittelformat


-first overview

-detail leica 2 camera

-detail nikon full format sensor digital 24x36

-medium format slide film(Mamiya RZ67 Pro II mit 4,5/75 mm Shift bei Blende 5,6 auf Fuji Velvia 50)


result the digital 24x36 camera has a far better picture than the medium format slide film format camera and this with a 50 Velvia!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX
Thanks Lee, although the release list is completely devoid of material shot in 4k digitally.


These are all transfers from 35mm or straight 2k upconversions.
The reason for that is that the only Digital Movie Cameras than can yield resolution that can give you a 4K finish is the RED One with the new Mysterium-X (MX) sensor (4.5K) and the new RED Epic with the same sensor but new hardware and processing software.

The RED One-MX hasn't been out long enough to have shot any movie that has been released yet, except "The Social Network" that was shot on a prototype RED One MX.

Sony has two big-budget movies in production shooting with RED cameras, because Sony haven't been able to produce a compatible camera themselves, which is a big cudos to a small private owned 4 year old camera company like RED.

The rest of the digital cinema cameras can't yield more than a 2K resolution, and that includes the "latest and greatest" from ARRI; the Alexa.


The Green Hornet listed for 2011 was shot on film, but recently some scenes where re-shot on the REDone-MX for the 3D edition.


Besides; the list only lists Sony movies (if I don't remember wrong, Columbia is owned by Sony.)

Of course Sony has a special interest in releasing movies in 4K as they have the only company with 4K cinema installs. Thanks to Texas Instrument's unfathomable unwillingness to develop 4K DLP in time to not lose their market lead in Digital Cinema to Sony.

Christie "brags" that they have installed 14000 DLP projectors in digital cinemas. DLP cinema has 90% market share worldwide. But just with the two deals Sony has with AMC and Regal Cinemas they get 10000 installs, add a 600 screen deal with a British chain and DLP is losing market shears fast.

Can't be easie for Barco and Christie to play catch up because of TI's "miss"!

That "heads aren't rolling" at TI is a mystery.


PS. Wonder how Sony is going to project 4K 3D?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan
The reason for that is that the only Digital Movie Cameras than can yield resolution that can give you a 4K finish is the RED One with the new Mysterium-X (MX) sensor (4.5K) and the new RED Epic with the same sensor but new hardware and processing software.

The RED One-MX hasn't been out long enough to have shot any movie that has been released yet, except "The Social Network" that was shot on a prototype RED One MX.

Sony has two big-budget movies in production shooting with RED cameras, because Sony haven't been able to produce a compatible camera themselves, which is a big cudos to a small private owned 4 year old camera company like RED.

The rest of the digital cinema cameras can't yield more than a 2K resolution, and that includes the "latest and greatest" from ARRI; the Alexa.


The Green Hornet listed for 2011 was shot on film, but recently some scenes where re-shot on the REDone-MX for the 3D edition.


Besides; the list only lists Sony movies (if I don't remember wrong, Columbia is owned by Sony.)

Of course Sony has a special interest in releasing movies in 4K as they have the only company with 4K cinema installs. Thanks to Texas Instrument's unfathomable unwillingness to develop 4K DLP in time to not lose their market lead in Digital Cinema to Sony.

Christie "brags" that they have installed 14000 DLP projectors in digital cinemas. DLP cinema has 90% market share worldwide. But just with the two deals Sony has with AMC and Regal Cinemas they get 10000 installs, add a 600 screen deal with a British chain and DLP is losing market shears fast.

Can't be easie for Barco and Christie to play catch up because of TI's "miss"!

That "heads aren't rolling" at TI is a mystery.

PS. Wonder how Sony is going to project 4K 3D?
Dual Sony 4K projectors with polarized filters.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan /forum/post/19637546


Do they sell them as "2 for 1" bargain with good convergence between them?

It's all about bragging rights.



And if IMAX can use dual Christie 2K projectors for their 3D, no reason why you can't use dual Sony 4K projectors. . . . is there?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17,607 Posts
Christie , Barco and Nec are ready to install thousands of 4k light engines. In particular the cinemark rollout will be huge... So most likely some of the new 4k titles will be shown in the MTF superior cinema dlp enhanced 4k. With a little initative a double stack of dp4k-32bs could be used in full steresocopic 4k mode feeding separate mono signals to the two projectors, THAT WOULD BE THE BEST DARNED 4k-3D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX /forum/post/19638236


Christie , Barco and Nec are ready to install thousands of 4k light engines. In particular the cinemark rollout will be huge... So most likely some of the new 4k titles will be shown in the MTF superior cinema dlp enhanced 4k. With a little initative a double stack of dp4k-32bs could be used in full steresocopic 4k mode feeding separate mono signals to the two projectors, THAT WOULD BE THE BEST DARNED 4k-3D.

Peter, do you know if the Digtial IMAX theaters plan to upgrade to the new DLP 4k Chip?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble Devo /forum/post/19684982


Peter, do you know if the Digtial IMAX theaters plan to upgrade to the new DLP 4k Chip?

Yes I would like to know the same Peter. Been curious as to when and if IMAX will get the DLP 4K chip for a while now.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
17,607 Posts
Hi guys I would imagine they would be dying to although they have the laser projector in the works too.


Certainly the Cinemark and Regal cinema variants are going to compete head and head with Imax using 4k dp2k32b Barcos. Regals extreme system will have stackeds dp2k32b's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,659 Posts
Do I understand this right; just like a single Sony 4K projector can't do 3D in full 4K resolution, the 4K DLP projectors can't do that either?


If so; can somebody explain why? I thought that would be one of the competitive advantages DLP would have over the Sony. 3D is so much more in need for more resolution and more light (and higher framerate) compared to 2D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan /forum/post/19687475


Do I understand this right; just like a single Sony 4K projector can't do 3D in full 4K resolution, the 4K DLP projectors can't do that either?


If so; can somebody explain why? I thought that would be one of the competitive advantages DLP would have over the Sony. 3D is so much more in need for more resolution and more light (and higher framerate) compared to 2D.

I don't think that is correct.


From what I have read. The DLP 4k solution will use the entire Pixel Array when projecting in 3d. (Triple Flash I believe)


I having a hard time finding the documentation, but maybe an insider can chime in for verification.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top