Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone been to the digital theaters in the Chicago

area?

How are they and which is the best in your opinions?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I think there's only one, South Barrington 30, but I've never been there. I may though to watch SWII.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That is not correct, read Roger Eberts review of Star Wars. He touches on the subject of how it was recorded digitally, but transferred to film for the theater which he saw it in. And talks about how the special affects looked fuzzy. He wants to go again and see it on a DLP screen, which there is only ONE in the Chicago area.

It doesn't matter if you don't like his reviews ( I personally don't), but he gives a pretty good review of the experience and what it would take to enhance it (watching it on a DLP screen would do the trick)

There are only four theaters in the Chicago area, check this link out:
http://www.dlp.com/dlp/cinema/where.asp?rid=1

·
Registered
308 Posts
I meant, four.

"He wants to go again and see it on a DLP screen, which there are only FOUR in the Chicago area."

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The AMC South Barrington no longer has a DLP projector. But Boeing Digital Cinema has installed 4 additional ones, including the McClurg Court downtown. Vickie and I will be there for the midnight show Wednesday night.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I saw Planet of the Apes (remake) and Monsters Inc. on the DLP at the Barrington AMC 30. The most noticable aspect was no noise or scratches. Not too bad.

I could see pixels quite easily during closing credits scrolling but for normal pictures the view was great. The fine hairs on the big blue monster in Monsters, Inc. was jaw-dropping.

Too bad AMC Barrington doesn't have it anymore. This is the first I heard of it.

Chris, how do you know this is true?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ontario, Canada???

what's this all aboot?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SamR.
Ontario, Canada???

what's this all aboot?
It seems like a breathtakingly stupid idea to get rid of AMC's only DLP projector in Chicago. But AMC recently bought another chain, General Cinema. I'm not sure if General Cinema had any digital projectors, but AMC moved several DLP projectors to different locations.

From TI's list of DLP theaters :

AMC Media Center 6 (moved to AMC Santa Monica)

Famous Players Paramount (Moving to FP Colossus)

AMC South Barrington 30 (Moved to a different AMC)

It probably makes a lot of sense from AMC's perspective. Maybe they are going to replace it with a one of the new Kodak dILA-based units. But not to worry - there are three new DLP systems in the Chicago area:

Crown Village Crossings 18

7000 Carpenter Road

Skokie, Illinois 60077

USA

Tel: 847-444-FILM #637

Loews Streets of Woodfield

601 N. Martingale Street, #105

Woodfield, Illinois 60173

USA

Loews McClurg Court

330 E. Ohio Street

Chicago, Illinois 60611

USA

Tel: 312-642-0723

The McClurg Court is Vickie and my favorite theater in Chicago, and we will be there for the recently announced Wednesday midnight show. We'll be near the front of the line.

·
Premium Member
11,839 Posts
I never go to the theater anymore for the above reasons. I am more than happy at my home theater.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I can vouch for the Streets Of Woodfield having a DLP theater as I just bought tickets for the 12:30PM showing on Thursday. They still had 45% of tickets available for that show.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Although an accurate count is hard to come by, there are apparently about 20 screens in America showing "Episode II" via digital projector, and about 3,000 showing it on film.
Hard to come by? Lucasfilm is not returning Roger Ebert's calls? It's not as if there aren't a couple of dozen people who know the answer waiting in line outside of the McClurg Court theater 4 blocks from the Sun-Times building. Or the crew from Boeing Digital installing the projector. Or any of the newsgroup posts...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Take a look at todays SunTimes, it has Roeper and Ebert going toe-to-toe regarding the movie. Ebert seems to be even more a fool, if that's possible.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I've often wondered if Ebert dumbs down his reviews because he's Joe 6 Pack's reviewer of choice, or if he's just dumb. I imagine he's a good critic but is aiming his content at middle America.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ratings, Ratings, Ratings.

Ebert says whatever it takes to get people like us to keep talking about him. That's why he has to have a partner to argue with. Stir up the pot and watch the ratings rise.

This classic formula works and basically is not much different than radio shock-jocks like Howard Stern, Mancow, and Rush Limbaugh.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.