AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
I was 13 when It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World came out in Cinerama. I think I saw it 4 or 5 times, sitting in the front row. I was immersed in the film, moving my head from left to right and right to left. Cinerama was to movies what HDTV is to NTSC.

Tom

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Tom,

There were two "types" of Cinerama:

1. The original - 3 projectors which displayed 3 images that seamed together on the screen. AKA 3 Panel Cinerama.

2. Super Cinerama - which was nothing more than Panavision's Ultra- Panavision Anamorphic 70mm system. One projector.

MAD WORLD was a Super Cinerama production. How The West Was Won was a 3 Panel Cinerama movie.

Lee

·
Registered
173 Posts
I saw every 3-panel Cinerama produced and always sat on the fifth row center. What an experience!

Every once in a while TCM will air a letterbox version of HowTWWW and you can clearly see that the print was made from the three panels.

I recall reading in an old cinematographers Handbook that the replacement 70mm Ultra Panavison used a variable squeeze at the outer edges to compensate for the great depth of the curved screen.

That same handbook also stated that the original AR for CinemaScope was 2.66:1.

Ray

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
My scout troop visited the projection booth at the Sheraton

cinerama theater in Miami Beach, way back in the early 1950s and I was amazed at the size of those 3 huge projectors and film reels.

I told the projectionist that the panels were not aligned very well and he frowned and said that was as close as he could get it.

I also told him I wasn't impressed with the image quality. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Frank

·
Registered
4,129 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was a theater in downtown Dayton where they still had a Cinerama screen and three projectors. I think it was called the New Neon Theater. I don't know if they are still in business. One day out of the week they would show one of three Cinerama films they had. 'This is Cinerama', 'How the West Was Won' and I can't remember the last one. It was only about three years ago they were still showing these films. The projectionist would rewind each reel by hand so as not to put too much tension on the film surface.

------------------

STOP DFAST NOW!!!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Frank,

You mean to tell me that you were like this in the Fifties too???

Chris

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Dave,

You are correct on all accounts. This theater is still in business and is the only one left in the world, but the schedule is very limited.

I will be in the Dayton area next week on business. I haven't checked the schedule but if the stars are alligned maybe I can get a glimpse of the 5.1 audio super widscreen theater that was way ahead of its time.

If you are ever in Ohio, Dayton has three must see places IMHO: Mendelson's Electronics, The Dayton Flight Museum, and this Cinerama Theater.

Hurry, the film quality isn't getting any better.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I am sorry to announce that the Dayton theater is no longer showing Cinerama. Their last show was in 2000 - www.neonmovies.com . The equipment is no longer there.

However there is a Cinerama in Seattle now. It is currently showing Pearl Harbor but it might show other true Cinerama features occasionally - (206)-441-3080

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

[This message has been edited by MrWigggles (edited 06-03-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.