AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting monoblocks, and my dealer showed me some specs for one of the new digital amplifiers, by Spectron. He is going to try to get one to audition, but I'm wondering if anyone here uses/used these amplifiers, and what are your feelings about them? Its a completly different idea than traditional amplifers. How do they compare?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I have an HK DPR-1001 with digital amplification. It is a very "clean" sound, much different from the traditional HK sound. I also had a Panny digital receiver (sa-xr10), and it had the same type of sound.

As far as sound quality is concerned, my HK is no match for my Rotel seperates pushing my B&W CDM-9NT's. It almost sounds lifeless.

I think for amplifying a subwoofer, D class is best. I have a D class 1300 watt monoblock in my crew cab, & it pushes my dual 10's very well. It stays COOL & is 80% effecient.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of digital for my main amplifiers, which would drive VMPS RM40's (4 ohm) and VMPS LRC and dipoles. I haven't heard it yet, but what makes it inferior to your analog amps? You say its "clean" but "lifeless." What do you mean by that?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Before you through away thousands of dollars you might want to follow up on a company by the name of mueta. They are an OEM company but they claim a signal to noise of 130 db and that amps can be configured to 500w at 8ohms. I remember last year at CES when I was at their booth and the owner of spectron happened to stop in. I think he liked what he saw and heard. The Mueta guys also told me that amps could be made at the cost of $20-25 per channel. Which should mean lower cost for us. By the way Thieu amp sounded amazing.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Quote:
You say its "clean" but "lifeless." What do you mean by that?
It just doesn't have the rich, warm sound I prefer. It sounds detailed, almost "anticeptic" it's so clean. YMMV. For bedroom duties, the HK is fine for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
In car audio, Digital amps have so much harmonic distortion that they are used mainly for subwoofer bass. I am surprised that people are welcoming the technology for home theater, full range applications. I am also curious as to how these new products sound. Brian

·
Registered
349 Posts
There are many products out there, including Bel Canto's Evo 2000.2's (which is what I have heard). A very nice product with 92% efficiency - no heat and lots of oomph!!

Dave

·
Registered
161 Posts
Acoustic Reality ( www.acoustic-reality.com ) digital amps are some very highly rated amps competing with the best in Solid State or Tube.

I wouldn't recommend buying from them b/c they are located in Denmark and shipping, customs, customer service is an expensive biatch. Plus they're still overpriced considering digital is SUPER CHEAP vs. the other technologies.

My advice is to wait a year or two until prices come down and there's a host of competition. The future is headed towards digital though IMHO due to their cheap prices.

Will it supplant SS or Tube into extinction? Absolutely not, IMHO. Digital sounds clean & dynamic (albeit dry, antisceptic), which may appeal to some with THEIR equipment, but the warmth, fluidness & roundness other technolgies provide (albeit less "accurate") will always have a place in many a heart--including mine! ;)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
You may want to check out the Carver Pro ZR digital amps.

I'm glad I did:D

Regards,

dc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.