AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a digital coax or fiber optic connection also carry standard stereo audio or surround sound or do I have to also hook up analog connections to pick up these sound formats ?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Nope just use one cable (digital coax, or optic) and then your set for DD, DTS, and regular stereo.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz506
thanks Matt. That cleared me up man !!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW spaz make sure your dvd is set to bitstream audio, not pcm! Alot of dvd players default to pcm, also make sure that dts is selected on (again alot of the time it defaults to off).

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox
Yep, you only need the analog connections for DVD-A or SACD.
Unless of course he has a player that can do it with a digital cable. :)

Scott

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJLaletas
Nope just use one cable (digital coax, or optic) and then your set for DD, DTS, and regular stereo.
Which one is better? I know it has probably been asked and answered a billion times but I'm too lazy to search. :D Please enlighten me. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3Rod
Which one is better? I know it has probably been asked and answered a billion times but I'm too lazy to search. :D Please enlighten me. Thanks. :)
> You really should do a search. It's been discussed to death. Quick answer? They are the same. Digital is digital.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue
> You really should do a search. It's been discussed to death. Quick answer? They are the same. Digital is digital.
Yep, neither is really better. The only reason you might want to run optical moreso than coax is if you get alot of interference, i.e. microwave is close, alot of electrical wires everywhere, etc... Or if you dont have enough inputs for either or. In reality you will hear nothing audible in difference.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Of the hundreds of digital connections I've made there have been less problems with coaxial. It tends to be a more durable connection, or at least can withstand more abuse. I prefer coaxial for that reason only.

Scott

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Quote:
BTW spaz make sure your dvd is set to bitstream audio, not pcm! Alot of dvd players default to pcm, also make sure that dts is selected on (again alot of the time it defaults to off).
Okay, I'll bite. Why?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar
Okay, I'll bite. Why?
Im not sure what your asking so ill try to answer two things.

Why? The defaults, you got me man I have no idea why the hell manufacturers default them to those settings!

Why? Switch it to bitstream, because (at least for alot of receivers, maybe not for all) when sending pcm the receiver is not receiving a true DD, or DTS signal. And again alot of the times there is a switch for DTS (on or off), obviously if you want to use DTS youll need it on.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Quote:
Im not sure what your asking so ill try to answer two things.

Why? The defaults, you got me man I have no idea why the hell manufacturers default them to those settings!

Why? Switch it to bitstream, because (at least for alot of receivers, maybe not for all) when sending pcm the receiver is not receiving a true DD, or DTS signal. And again alot of the times there is a switch for DTS (on or off), obviously if you want to use DTS youll need it on.
Thanks, and it was the latter. I'm not even sure I have the option for bitstream on my DVD player and Tivo. I know the DVD player is set to PCM, but I'll have to double check and see if it has the bitstream option. The Tivo is confusing with it's setup menus. For one thing they're not all in the same place, and I have a hard time finding anything in it as far as setup goes. I wish they would have just put a simple "setup" button on the remote like everyone else, and put all of the basic setup options under one menu. On the other hand, it seems to "auto set" some things, depending on what options you pick. So who knows, maybe this thing is smarter than me. :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar
Thanks, and it was the latter. I'm not even sure I have the option for bitstream on my DVD player and Tivo. I know the DVD player is set to PCM, but I'll have to double check and see if it has the bitstream option. The Tivo is confusing with it's setup menus. For one thing they're not all in the same place, and I have a hard time finding anything in it as far as setup goes. I wish they would have just put a simple "setup" button on the remote like everyone else, and put all of the basic setup options under one menu. On the other hand, it seems to "auto set" some things, depending on what options you pick. So who knows, maybe this thing is smarter than me. :)
Damn Rutger nice theatre! I love your colors, you picked them out wisely!

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
The bitstream setting sends what came off the disk. The PCM setting does not preserve the DD or DTS encoding. Not sure whether the player extracts a stereo signal or picks up a stereo track, but that's all it sends - stereo. If your receiver says that it detects DD or DTS when you select the digital input from the player, then the player is outputting bitstream. If the receiver says it's getting PCM, then you're not getting the encoded surround sound. The receiver *may* be generated synthetic surround, but that won't be nearly as good as the encoded original.

I wonder how many people with surround systems are actually listening to stereo, or synthesized surround? Probably a LOT.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
I wonder how many people with surround systems are actually listening to stereo, or synthesized surround? Probably a LOT.
I can think of a number of cases in which I visited someone who had a HT, and it just didn't sound right. After a quick, "Mind if I check out your set up?" and the click of a button, suddenly it sounded right.

The owner inevitably said something like, "Thanks man. I thought maybe HT was a rip off. I just couldn't hear any difference." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
The bitstream setting sends what came off the disk. The PCM setting does not preserve the DD or DTS encoding. Not sure whether the player extracts a stereo signal or picks up a stereo track, but that's all it sends - stereo. If your receiver says that it detects DD or DTS when you select the digital input from the player, then the player is outputting bitstream. If the receiver says it's getting PCM, then you're not getting the encoded surround sound. The receiver *may* be generated synthetic surround, but that won't be nearly as good as the encoded original.

Okay, my DVD player doesn't call it "bitstream". It simply calls it Dolby Digital or DD-PCM, and DTS or DTS PCM. And the player's default is straight DD and DTS. This was something I just never paid any attention to before.

BTW DMF, Come on Serenity!

·
Registered
804 Posts
TY DMF for the better explanations, that is what I generally lack good explanations

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Quote:
TY DMF for the better explanations, that is what I generally lack good explanations
I thought your explanation was fine. It got me checking my setup.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would suggest using fiber. The simple truth is that electrical noise IE RFI, EMI etc will do nothing to a fiber, but will be disasterous for the coaxial, especially if the shielding is poor. They are both digital yes, and in theory can be lossless, but optical lines will approach that.

The only advantage of a coaxial connection, is that the cable can take abuse that would damage the fiber to a point that it no longer is useful. But if this is an installed system and its not being moved everynight like a traveling musician's gear might be, I would say there is no reason to put up with an unnecessarily noisy digital connection.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.