AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TOSLINK SPDIF Vs COAX which is better?

A lot of DVDP's don't have the optical SPDIF, but have the coax. My sony DVDP only has coax.

My receiver has a COAX in and a COAX out what would the coax out plug into? I mean you already have better than TV sound, then hy would you want TV sound, or worse sound from the projector if that's what is for?

·
Registered
775 Posts

Quote:
My receiver has a COAX in and a COAX out what would the coax out plug into?

Why don't you read your manual?

·
Registered
775 Posts
CD recorders. It is for recording purposes.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
You may also want to use coax out to an outboard D/A converter better than the one in your receiver.

That way you can continue to use the receiver as a switcher but still improve your sound.

In general coax digital sounds better than Toslink, or rather timing errors are more easily injected into the data stream when using a Toslink interconnect.

However Toslink is completely immune from RF interference where coax is an electrical signal like analog audio signals are.

For most, however, there's no audible difference.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 /forum/post/15446115

To me they sound the same but I prefer coax because it's not as fragile. I use so many inputs that I'm forced to use both.

Agreed most TOSLINK cables are vulnarable to breaking and the glass lense can get scratched. Not to mention hoew much $$$ a good one which is not fragile costs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.