AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought polk audio speakers (rti8, csi5, fxi3) and i connect them to my harman kardon avr240. i connect my dvd to the ampli with digital coax. however, when i use digital coax cable, i'm limited in terms of sound that is i can only select dolby (because it is digital). whereas, if i use composite cable (rca type), i have more choices like dts, pro-logic, neo etc...

is there a way to get more "choices" with digital coax cable? any suggestion is welcomed.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Nonsense. The cable is just a pipe. Your DVD player can send the signal - any signal (DD, DTS, stereo) - from the DVD or CD through the player across the cable and into the receiver via digital or analog. If it sends it via HDMI, optical digital (toslink) or coax digital, it will be digital and it will be surround-capable (if to original source is encoded in surround). If it goes via cheapie RCA cables then it will have to be in stereo UNLESS you are using the six-analog outputs that some DVD players have.

If you have a choice, always use a digital output, whether HDMI, coax or optical.

By the way, welcome to the group!

·
Registered
22,045 Posts
You shouldn't really have any desire to use any analog/matrixed surround modes if you have a digital source/receiver.

Either use DD or DTS for the best quality.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
With some DVD players you need to go into the setup menu and enable DTS capability.

Of course, then you need a disc with DTS tracks on it, and (ususally) you also need to select DTS from the disc's audio setup screen because most I've seen default to Dolby Digital.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericloo
i just bought polk audio speakers (rti8, csi5, fxi3) and i connect them to my harman kardon avr240. i connect my dvd to the ampli with digital coax. however, when i use digital coax cable, i'm limited in terms of sound that is i can only select dolby (because it is digital). whereas, if i use composite cable (rca type), i have more choices like dts, pro-logic, neo etc...

is there a way to get more "choices" with digital coax cable? any suggestion is welcomed.
The pro-logic and neo logics are to simulate a 6 channel surround sound effect from a 2 channel stereo input, which is what you get with the RCA type red/white connectors. The coax is a true 5.1 surround sound signal, whihc does not need any simulations to create the surround effect. If your DVD is coded with 5.1 and you are using coax, your receiver will automatically use the dolby digital. If your DVD is coded wioth Dobly 2.0 stereo, you can select the pro-logic or neo options to simulate the surround sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.