AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up about building my own cables for my home theater set-up and I have noticed that there is some coaxial cable marketed for "digital transmission" and "analog transmission" but when I looked at the specs for the digital coax, it says it's also capable of transmitting analog signals as well--this was confirmed when I plugged my digital coax audio cable (for routing SP/DIF digital audio from my DVD player to receiver) into my VIDEO out from my DVD player into the tv, and it worked fine. So would it benefit me to simply buy the "digitally rated" coax cable for my digital transmissions and analog transmissions (Y Pb Pr, composite video, analog stereo etc)?...Will "analog" coax still carry digital signals? Someone please clear this up for me.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Just use solid copper core RG-6 coax cable and you will be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
zedrein, i think you are talking about the digital audio coax connection that uses standard RCA type of connectors.

SCHNEEDOO is talking about RG-6, often called coax as well. That is the larger round cable with the screw on connectors used for cable boxes and antennas.

As far as what you are talking about, that coax connection with the plug in RCA connectors, it is just standard RCA cables. Same copper wire as component video or stereo audio cables. "Digitally rated" is just a marketing term, don't let the hype fool you, its all just copper wire.

Check out monoprice.com for cables, unless you really do want to make your own. They offer the best prices around for top quality cables and no confusing hype or big box store prices.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcantu /forum/post/15502410

zedrein, i think you are talking about the digital audio coax connection that uses standard RCA type of connectors.

SCHNEEDOO is talking about RG-6, often called coax as well. That is the larger round cable with the screw on connectors used for cable boxes and antennas.

RG-6 is called coax, because it is. "coax" is slang for the construction method.

You can purchase RCA fittings for RG-6. At least I did, and worked perfectly fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts