AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've read that you can playback Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master codecs if you have a receiver and bluray player than can decode them. However, I plan on streaming my media from my laptop or my external hdd to my tv (Samsung LN46B750). The HTIB I am looking to get (Sony HT-SS360) can decode both soundtracks. So my question is will this set-up be able to playback both if I plan on streaming content, instead of using a player?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I believe you'd need to decode the lossless compression formats in the computer and send multichannel PCM audio from the computer to the receiver. I seriously doubt your laptop has the capability of sending out bitstream audio. Whatever media player box you connect your external hard drive to (if it's not the laptop) will also need to decode the audio to PCM, unless it can send it out as a bitstream to the receiver.

I'm not aware of any downloadable media with DTS-MA or TrueHD, though. Are you planning to rip BluRays?

·
Registered
9,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 /forum/post/18325357

Can the older PS3's decode the HD audio formats?

Ive heard otherwise but i dont know for certain

Yes. dts-MA decoding was added in a firmware update about two years ago. They had TrueHD before that.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Bitstream is raw data from the source, still in its compressed codec (TrueHD, DTS-MA). PCM is pulse code modulation, already decoded data for the audio receiver to process.

With the older PS3, they could only send lossless PCM, so you didn't have a choice. PS3 slims give you the choice. When it comes to lossless audio, neither is better than the other if both the player and receiver can decode. It's just a matter of preference.

·
Registered
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/18325812

Bitstream is raw data from the source, still in its compressed codec (TrueHD, DTS-MA). PCM is pulse code modulation, already decoded data for the audio receiver to process.

With the older PS3, they could only send lossless PCM, so you didn't have a choice. PS3 slims give you the choice. When it comes to lossless audio, neither is better than the other if both the player and receiver can decode. It's just a matter of preference.

Tulpa, thanks for the clarification about which is better. But, just so I'm completely clear on this, are you saying that lossless PCM (should) pass from the player to the AVR and eventually out the speakers as lossless, 24-bit audio? How would a receiver that doesn't have the ability to decode a 24-bit raw data stream have the ability to play a 24-bit PCM stream?

For myself, I send my audio from my oppo BD-83 to my older receiver via RCA multichannel outs. I'd always assumed that to hear the new audio formats via HDMI, I'd need to get a receiver that supported the new formats. Are you saying this isn't the case? thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
There is no advantage to decoding in the player or in the receiver. You get the same results each way (it's like asking which unzipping program to use to open a zip file on your computer).

Some people will report hearing differences between decoders, but that comes down to the decoders not being level-matched (one decoder may be a couple of decibels louder than the other) and the human brain interprets louder as being better. There may also be different post-processing settings applied based on whether the incoming audio is PCM or bitstream, which causes them to sound different. With the audio level-matched and with the same processing applied, you get identical quality.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo /forum/post/18326023

For myself, I send my audio from my oppo BD-83 to my older receiver via RCA multichannel outs. I'd always assumed that to hear the new audio formats via HDMI, I'd need to get a receiver that supported the new formats. Are you saying this isn't the case? thanks for your time.

What receiver do you have? I assume it's HDMI 1.1 or 1.2?

·
Registered
9,093 Posts

Quote:

Tulpa, thanks for the clarification about which is better. But, just so I'm completely clear on this, are you saying that lossless PCM (should) pass from the player to the AVR and eventually out the speakers as lossless, 24-bit audio? How would a receiver that doesn't have the ability to decode a 24-bit raw data stream have the ability to play a 24-bit PCM stream?

I don't understand that question. But, lossless isn't necessarily 24 bits. It depends on the source.

Quote:

Decoding only happens in one place or the other, not both. If the player does the decoding, all you need is a receiver that has HDMI 1.1 and can process multichannel PCM. No decoders of any kind are needed in the AVR.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
You'd match the levels by looking at an SPL meter while adjusting the volume knobs or input trims. When comparing audio quality, levels must be matched or the comparison is meaningless.

As far as processing goes, that get's complicated. You have to go through all the settings menus and sometimes even hardware specifications to ensure the same things are being applied to both sources. This doesn't always happen automatically...

For example, many receivers cannot apply room-correction EQ to audio they decode from bitstream due to lack of DSP power; however they can apply EQ to previously-decoded audio arriving in the receiver as PCM. If the EQ processing is not turned off for the PCM audio, you're comparing apples to oranges, as PCM gets EQ and bitstream does not. They will almost certainly sound different, in such a scenario.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealteamz6 /forum/post/18326337

so im in a better position since my PS3 decodes stuff into PCM?

In theory, you could be. There are just too many variables to make any definitive statements that cover all situations.

As far as BluRay decoding goes, one advantage of doing it in the player instead of the receiver is so that you can make use of the Secondary Audio streams (such as commentary tracks or other extra features) on some discs. Secondary audio has to mixed with the primary movie audio, so decoding must be done in the player for it to work.

There's generally no downside to decoding in the player and sending PCM to the receiver. That also means you can get away with using older HDMI receivers that don't have decoders for the lossless formats on BluRay.

I can't think of any advantage you'd find in bitstreaming to the receiver and decoding there.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:

I'd always assumed that to hear the new audio formats via HDMI, I'd need to get a receiver that supported the new formats. Are you saying this isn't the case? thanks for your time.

If the player can decode, the receiver just has to accept lossless PCM over HDMI. There are a few receivers that don't do decoding but do have audio enabled HDMI. Sony I'm fairly sure has at least one, and I think someone said Pioneer as well. They used to be more common when lossless audio on Blu-Ray was just coming out.

Most HDMI audio-enabled receivers also decode nowadays, though.

·
Registered
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/18329701

If the player can decode, the receiver just has to accept lossless PCM over HDMI. There are a few receivers that don't do decoding but do have audio enabled HDMI. Sony I'm fairly sure has at least one, and I think someone said Pioneer as well. They used to be more common when lossless audio on Blu-Ray was just coming out.

Most HDMI audio-enabled receivers also decode nowadays, though.

Are you and RoboRay saying different things? It seems you are saying the AVR has to accept lossless audio but that there are only a few that do(but don't decode it). It seems RoboRay is saying any old HDMI-enabled AVR will accept the decoded lossless formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/18326050

What receiver do you have? I assume it's HDMI 1.1 or 1.2?

My current receiver is pre-HDMI, but it has multichannel inputs, so I use the RCA outs on the oppo BD-83.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo /forum/post/18336828

Are you and RoboRay saying different things? It seems you are saying the AVR has to accept lossless audio but that there are only a few that do(but don't decode it). It seems RoboRay is saying any old HDMI-enabled AVR will accept the decoded lossless formats.

When I said few accept lossless audio but don't decode, I was talking about receivers you could purchase new. Pioneer and Sony were the only two I know off that were still producing non-decoding HDMI-audio capable receivers as of 2009 or so. You can buy an older receiver (circa 2007 or so) if you want to go used. I did say they used to be more common.

It doesn't really matter, though. You can get a decoding receiver and have the player do the decoding instead and the receiver will happily process the PCM signal for amplification. The decoding receivers don't cost a whole heck of a lot more, if they cost more at all.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts