AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Browsing around DC's web site look for an HD programming guide, I came across this strange commentary about "CableTV's White Lie"

http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_11.htm

Maybe they just need to update their comments because it seems to me to not be true. I live in Toronto and Rogers cable feeds us nine channels of gorgeous HD programming every day. I'm sure other cities like Houston also have it since DC points us to the local Houston link below the clai. Are they saying that cable HD is not as good? The editorial implies it's never gonna happen and we know that it has. What's up with that?

·
Registered
588 Posts
You are one of the lucky ones. I guess Canada is ahead of the US in that area. The editorial is accurate for the most part. The thrust of the editorial is that cable operators are trying to sell digital cable as a superior product when it is just more crappy channels. I expect this will change eventually thanks to pressure from the FCC.

David

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
MikeM:

Very strange article, indeed. The person who wrote it should learn how to use a spell checker. It even has inaccurate information (e.g. Showtime - Available by Dish Network only, slated to start on DirecTV May 1, 2001). It’s interesting that they don’t mention the Scientific Atlanta HD cable boxes in the equipment list.

I don’t see any reason why these guys would be reporting on what’s happening here in Toronto, though. Like most things Canadian, they’re of limited or no interest to most Americans.;)

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
davidmin:

Digital cable in Toronto is quite good. The "real" digital channels (those which are received and retransmitted by the cable company in digital form), easily match satellite for quality, IMO. Even analog conversions to digital aren't too bad.:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.