AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys using to watch tv on? Football should start soon and i was wanting to watch some of the games on my projector but i wanted atleast Svideo out.

One of my projectors i can run HDMI and componet but i wanted atleast svideo out.

Any good ones you can recomend? good menus? good remote or anything you prefer over another one?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I really liked my SAMSUNG DTB-H260, but unfortunately, it died last week, and it looks like stores are no longer carrying them.
Why is beyond me. It sucks! So I had to dig out my old Accurian HDTV tuner from Radio shack I bought 5 years ago. The reception on the Samsung was outstanding, but my older Accurian, with the older tuner, just can't do what the Samy could. I've been looking for a replacement, but there are few out there that do HD. We are limited to either the DTVPal DVR by Dish Network or building your own HTPC (Home theater computer) if you want to get HD.

If all you want is digital... I did buy a Digital Converter box from Best Buy that has S-video for the bedroom tv.(Apex DT250A) I can't say much on it for I don't have an antenna for it yet, but from a coat hanger (haha) I've got a couple stations. I'm sure it will do well with any "real" antenna.

btw... thought I'd mention I am about 60-75 miles away from the towers, so I'm happy getting any reception.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i found a few older posts that talk about tuners and found a place that sells this thing called a "PHD-205LE ATSC / QAM (HD) Tuner Receiver Box" for $140.

I thought ide ask what else is available first before i pull the trigger.

The PHD has just about every output you would need. componet, Svideo, composit, RGB computer and even HDMI! its a bit steep though is whats holding me back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just go to ebay and find an old Samsung TS360. I use that device for over the air HD for sports. I get them for around $20.00. I search for the ones on ebay that says boot fail or they just make a ticking noise. This is TS360 is a Linux box that is trying to reset itself. Leave it plugged in overnight and it will reset itself. at that point connect it to a tv using the s video and go to the set up. set the machine to no dish. then hook up some old rabbit ears and scan for digital channels. Then go to Monoprice.com and get an DVI to HDMI converter.

download the Samsung TS-360 manual .

·
Registered
586 Posts
You might also look for the USDTV box. It was made by HiSense and sold through Wal Mart stores. I bought one for $200 from Wally back when it was the only HDTV box in my area and HD was still experimental. There's a group on this website and they can be found on "the bay" (no, not the Canadian one)

There are RGB outputs and you can select 1080i, 720p or 480i/p. No HDMI, but S vid if you must....

Make sure it comes with the remote. The box's only flaw is that most controls are on the remote only. I'm using mine as a converter box for a sd TV in my office-the tuner is very good for a first/second gen box-better than my Sony HDD 250, not as good as my Dishnet box.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have the USDTV box and it works fine. The only problem is getting the one that does FTA. There were few that had paid subscription and needs to have firmware modified to use them with FTA. You can do that by following the threads here.

If you are going to spend more than $150, I would suggest going with Dish DTVpal DVR. Its more price, but also doubles up as a DVR. Nice investment IMO.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well we have cable but i didnt want to pay for another box just to watch football on onc ein a while. The box has all the outputs

I thought if i bought the qam tuners it would give me a few more digital channels off the cable?

If i cant pull any more channels with it then the standard off air ones the higher price isnt worth it.

This will be down stairs in my basement where its hard to get good off air reception this is another reason why i wanted to use cable.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe /forum/post/16928222

BowerR64 -- See the http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=186 forum for recommended Digital Converter Boxes.

Well im not just looking for any converter box though.

One that works with a projector that has all the outputs most projectors use. Incase i get a better one that has a dedicated HDMI input.

I also want one that can pull all the digital channels off time warner cable.

Not just an off air converter box.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would love one that would be a DVR without a subscription for the Off-Air HD Broadcasts

·
Registered
272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringals /forum/post/16918170

SAMSUNG DTB-H260 ,

DTVPal DVR by Dish Network

BowerR64,

The Samsung is almost perfect. I'm not sure how it does with cable though. If you can find one, get it. It has Composite, S-VIDEO, Analog Audio, Digital Audio (optical), Component video, and HDMI. Something for everyone. What I liked also about it was I was able to use it for my standard TV for a while. It can receive and display ALL signal resolutions. Hard to find a converter that has HDMI/Component and displays in 480i.

Cocophone,

If you want to have OTA DVR, the only option I'm aware of is the DTVPal DVR by Dish Network($250+/-) ... or build yourself a HTPC. There's a complete section here for HTPC's,... check it out.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i just decided to drop the $150. on the PHD-205LE.

What i dont like about it is the outputs have to be selected on the back manualy. Ide prefer them be in the menu maybe so i could hook up 2 different displays.

My 301 DVD changer does this. I have Svideo out hooked to my LP250 for when i watch movies by myself, and componet to my 4805 when i have some one over. All i do is power up either projector and the player sends to the correct display, or both maybe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.