AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm all ready to pull the trigger and go buy one of these HD boxes mainly for OTA. I've done the research, check my stations, figured out antennae's, directions and am all ready.

Then, I start reading some of these current trends regarding the copy protection programming that is likely going to happen. I've read there is a significant risk that certain programs could be disabled for HD reception, if your monitor and receiver don't include a specific chip (chipset).

It seems there are currently 2 standards, new digital based inputs, and all kinds of potential end scenarios.

Not to start a long thread on this stuff... but, does it worry anyone that the earlier adopters could get left holding the bag? Has anyone checked to see if their units will be upgraded (or can be) if this type of system is implemented? I'd like to buy NOW... I'm really wondering, I guess, is this just stupid news... and a scare-you-so-you'll-read-me article, or is this a real concern I'm just now learning about?

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Big Red:

The obsoleting of STBs are not the primary concern of copy protection implementation. STBs, after all, cost an absolute maximum of $1k, with most being cheaper.

Compare this to the cost of the display. In most cases (save that of a computer CRT monitor), the display device will cost a minimum of $2k, with most "mainstream" units at $3500 to $10,000. Since all HDTVs and HDTV-capable display devices to date have analog HD inputs, and the likely implementation of copy protection will disable HD on analog outputs, these display devices will be obsolete, at least for HD viewing of certain program material.

Therefore, if you've already got the display device, you may as well take the plunge on a STB. If the MPAA has their way, you're out $600-$700 on the STB, but many thousands on the display...

------------------
BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.