AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was on hidef digest and was looking at the hittman movie and it said it was a special edition, "digital copy" so read some more and its also playable on a standard dvd player, so is this like blu rays "combo format" kinda deal

·
Registered
78 Posts
"In a high-def first, the 'Hitman' Blu-ray will also come with a bonus second DVD disc, which contains a standard-definition Digital Copy of the movie, enabling viewers to watch it on portable devices, such as a PC, iPod or iPhone. " looks like it's a 2 disc set one blu-ray second is dvd

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
To clarify, the DVD disc is not a DVD-Video, but rather a DVD-Rom that includes an iPod and iPhone-ready encode of the movie that can be transferred into iTunes. It is not playable on a DVD Video player.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My understanding of it is that it is a separate copy on a standard DVD with one MAJOR exception: it can only be played on PCs. Granted, you could then convert this file for something like an IPOD, PSP, etc, but at the moment it is a DVD only thing.

What Sony REALLY wants you to do with this feature is go buy one of the new PSPs with the TV-out on it, transplant this file on to a memory stick, and then play that file through the PSP on whatever device you want it on. Complicated, but completely vertically integrated and thus profitable for Sony.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
i wonder if this digital copy has a dvd format also for those ppl who have players upstairs or in their cars that could not play the blu-ray copy. the same convenience hd dvd combo discs give would not be available, tho it'd require a blank disc.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
This is the exact idea I thought of last year. Verbatim. Special code and linked with a registered iTunes account for use on iPhone. Thanks for listening fox.

Too cool.

·
Registered
468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averhoeven /forum/post/12933263

My understanding of it is that it is a separate copy on a standard DVD with one MAJOR exception: it can only be played on PCs. Granted, you could then convert this file for something like an IPOD, PSP, etc, but at the moment it is a DVD only thing.

What Sony REALLY wants you to do with this feature is go buy one of the new PSPs with the TV-out on it, transplant this file on to a memory stick, and then play that file through the PSP on whatever device you want it on. Complicated, but completely vertically integrated and thus profitable for Sony.

Not really.

This is a studio specific thing. I know we're not used to realizing that studios on the same format are still separate (and competing) entities, but that's what's going on here.

FOX signed a deal with Apple to provide an iTunes specific digital copy of the movie in their DVDs and Blu-ray discs going forward (which one specifically is TBD). These files will play on any PC or Mac with iTunes and can be transferred to any Apple product (iPod, iPhone, AppleTV). I think the same discs also have a "Plays for Sure" version as well for those who use Windows Media Player or have non-Apple gear. The only people screwed are Zune owners.

SONY is going to do something similar but with the PSP: you will be able to transfer a PSP optimized version of Sony Blu-ray discs from your PS3. This obviously limits the feature to those with both a PS3 and PSP (which I believe is the whole idea). These files WON'T work on iPods or Zunes or any non Sony gear (Sony sees the iPod as a competitor). However, since the Sony stuff was just "announced" and hasn't been implemented yet, nobody knows for sure exactly how it will work.

I see Fox's approach as superior as it will be usable by WAY more people.

·
Registered
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padriac /forum/post/12934467

SONY is going to do something similar but with the PSP: you will be able to transfer a PSP optimized version of Sony Blu-ray discs from your PS3. This obviously limits the feature to those with both a PS3 and PSP (which I believe is the whole idea). These files WON'T work on iPods or Zunes or any non Sony gear (Sony sees the iPod as a competitor). However, since the Sony stuff was just "announced" and hasn't been implemented yet, nobody knows for sure exactly how it will work.

I see Fox's approach as superior as it will be usable by WAY more people.

I would prefer the PS3/PSP solution. Just seems more sleeker to have everything in one disc, and pretty much one device (the PS3).

It shouldn't be hard for Sony to integrate that solution. We already have seen DRM'd movies pre-loaded on memory sticks, not to mention the official UMD-emulator in recent firmware versions (it's possible they could just put disk images from off-the-shelf UMDs, if they wanted to).

·
Registered
771 Posts
Wow, it was great being able put a copy of Hitman on my Ipod. Does anyone know where I can find a list of titles that have a digital copy or upcoming releases that will? Is it a Fox only thing or will it be a BD universal type feature? Thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 /forum/post/13392748

Wow, it was great being able put a copy of Hitman on my Ipod. Does anyone know where I can find a list of titles that have a digital copy or upcoming releases that will? Is it a Fox only thing or will it be a BD universal type feature? Thanks

Juno is supposed to have it (another fox title) and I believe there is another one announced that is from another studio but I can't remember what it is for some reason.

EDIT: Ah it was Rambo (or the Rambo boxset, whatever).

·
Registered
771 Posts
I hear Alvin and the Chipmunks may have a digital copy as well.

This is pretty neat, wish more studios were on board. You would think Sony would do it for their PSP units.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfilmguy /forum/post/12933128

To clarify, the DVD disc is not a DVD-Video, but rather a DVD-Rom that includes an iPod and iPhone-ready encode of the movie that can be transferred into iTunes. It is not playable on a DVD Video player.

I really hope they don't raise prices when including these. I was willing to pay more for HD DVD "combo" discs..but this? What a bunch of crap. I don't ever plan to movies on an iPod or cell phone.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john*d /forum/post/13393893

Lionsgate is already on board... RAMBO (part IV, new one) will have a digital copy!

I heard the Rambo one won't actually be on a disc. It will include a coupon for downloading the copy from iTunes (guess that answers your Zune question for that title, Ruined).

I have no use for these, but I'm just glad to have a source for 2-disc cases. When Fox releases a title I want with the digital copy, I will swap out the cover art with a single-disc case and use the 2-disc case for something else, like a custom special edition.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.