AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions:

1. What would happen if I connected a digital (i.e. encrypted) cable TV signal to a TV tuner on my computer without any cable box to decrypt it? Would it just show snow, an error message, or something else?

2. Does anyone make some type of descrambling or decrypting software so that you could watch encrypted cable on your PC? You know, sort of like a cable box except it would be computer software decrypting the signal, not a separate device provided by your cable company.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yddet12 /forum/post/19622126

1. What would happen if I connected a digital (i.e. encrypted) cable TV signal to a TV tuner on my computer without any cable box to decrypt it? Would it just show snow, an error message, or something else?

You would get what the cable company sends "in the clear", which are the local affiliates of the networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) and maybe a few other channels (PBS, Discovery) if your local cable office is generous. Encrypted channels will probably show as blanks or not show up at all.

Quote:
2. Does anyone make some type of descrambling or decrypting software so that you could watch encrypted cable on your PC? You know, sort of like a cable box except it would be computer software decrypting the signal, not a separate device provided by your cable company.

You need what is called a cableCARD, and a PC tuner that accepts it (and some other things, like the right BIOS and running at least Windows Vista.) That would turn your PC into a cable box of sorts. Without those items, you won't decrypt the channels. No software has been found that will decrypt on its own. You definitely need that cableCARD, which you rent from your cable company for a couple bucks a month.

Forget decrypting anything for free.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Quote:

You can get a cable card tuner like Tulpa said, or if you already have an HD cable box, you can get the Hauppauge HD PVR, which accepts hd over component, and allows you to record all the channels in hd.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19622257

You need what is called a cableCARD, and a PC tuner that accepts it (and some other things, like the right BIOS and running at least Windows Vista.)

You no longer need the special signed BIOS as of earlier this year - you can buy a CableCARD tuner and use it with any machine that's powerful enough to feed the content out to disk. But yes, it'll definitely cost you some money. Nothing free here...

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Ah, good to know. OS requirements still Vista minimum, though?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.