AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night my wife said to me out of the blue "What would a new projector cost to replace the G70?" The G70 has been our HT projector for the past 8 years and I am quite happy with it although it is a bit loud and sometimes I wish it were brighter. The impetus of her question was it is big, heavy, and we nearly had serious injury when we hung it the last time. Basically she doesn't want to move it and hang it again even though we have no plans to do so. So here I am researching what digital projectors would be an equivalent for it.

I like the black level of the CRT but as long as the digital is very dark as in I could do the hand shadow test and it casts a very slight shadow then I would be fine. I don't want the bright gray screen of yesteryear. Something more along the lines of setting the G70's brightness too high.

From my initial research it seems like the JVC RS10 or RS20 might be a reasonable overall equivalent. The main issues I have with the RS10 is lack of PC input and lack of CMS. I really like to play PC driving games on the big screen and would like the colors to be as accurate as possible. At the bottom end the Epson 6500U seems like it would be a bit of a compromise where I would gain full 1080p resolution and brightness but lose black level and some color.

Anyone have any experience with the G70 and today's digital projectors that have some recommendations?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
planar 8150

JVC RS2

A three chip DLP such as the SP777

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me add that I can see the Rainbow Effect on DLPs and I wasn't looking for it. I haven't ever known I was watching a DLP or tested how fast the color wheel has to be to not see it but several times now I saw the RBE and then check that the projector was a DLP.

·
Banned
365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey /forum/post/16936319

I like the black level of the CRT but as long as the digital is very dark as in I could do the hand shadow test and it casts a very slight shadow then I would be fine. I don't want the bright gray screen of yesteryear. Something more along the lines of setting the G70's brightness too high.

That's not happening with any digital, even if you troll the $20,000+ forum. You'll have to live with the equivalent of having the AKB up all the time and never shutting off for the equivalent of a digital. That would personally bug the hell out of me. For me when the screen is supposed to be pitch black, I better not see anything. But to each their own I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz /forum/post/16936392

planar 8150

JVC RS2

A three chip DLP such as the SP777

Black level wise those three combined wouldn't have the capability of adding up to the sequential contrast of ~700,000:1 contrast, the G70's maximum.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
R1, RS2, RS10, Rs20 will all best the G70 in every category except contrast IMHO

once you switch to digital you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Your best bet is the JVC RS20. If you had to pick one to audition, this would be it. If you don't like it, you won't like any of the current digital projectors. This is purely from a black level standpoint.

Now, when you talk about sharpness, and the ability to dial in your color with a very versatile Color Management System, the RS20 wins hands down.

Dan

·
Registered
141 Posts
I switched from a Marquee 9500 Ultra to an RS2 and a Lumagen Radiance a little over a year ago and as Tryg said it beats the CRT projector in every category except contrast. I'll also add that the motion resolution is lower than with the CRT but I'm still very happy with my purchase and have no urge to go back to CRT.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I had a G70 for 7 years and loved it on my stewart 100" 1.3 gain screeen, but in a bat cave type room. I finally made the switch, first the RS2 and then to the RS20. I've switched to a 120x51 'scope' screen with an anamorphic lens, and while the absolute black level isn't as black, the fact that I no longer suffer a small letterboxed 2.40 movie on a 16:9 screen and the outer space scenes with starfields are most satisfying, I do watch a lot of horror/sci-fi/action with dark scenes and I have to say the overall experience is so much better than the G70 with a faroudja processor, which I thought was as good as it gets for the price.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I switched from a G90 to RS20 and have not regretted the "upgrade" for a second. Absolute blacks and motion handling are undeniably better with CRT. Other aspects of PQ (sharpness, lumens) are better with the RS20.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts