AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with my new Sherwood Newcastle receiver. When using the coaxial digital input, I get some type of static/noise through the amp. It only happens when the screen goes dark... for example: I'm watching a the previews portion of a DVD. During the actual trailer, everything is fine. But when one of them ends, and before the other begins, I get the static. It also happens when I skip forward. It is a fixed volume, and even if I press mute, it remains. It does not get sent through the analog outs to the TV audio in, nor does it appear when I switch to analog ins rather than the coax.

Is this a problem with my unit, or a bad cable, or maybe even the DVD player? I will see if it happens when using the optical input from my Dish network box, I just need to pick up a cable. Any ideas?

·
Read the FAQ!
36,631 Posts
A digital audio input is typically engineered to mute itself briefly when the type of incoming digital signal changes -- so that it can get itself properly going with the new type of signal. It sounds like instead of muting, your receiver is inserting noise.

Since you still hear it even when you have manually muted the volume, it sounds like it is a fault in the muting portion of the audio output stage.

Some older receiver designs exhibited this type of problem when switching between Dolby Digital and DTS. However there is no excuse for any modern receiver to still do this.

I think your receiver needs service.

You are doing the right thing to check the other digital inputs as well.

--Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.