AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an epiphany yesterday. Last year I set up a home theater in my basement. I was fortunate to buy a Barco 808s from Terry Ferentinos. It has been used for over a year with an HTPC and has provided great enjoyment for the family.

Yesterday, I was at ABT Electronics in Glenview. It is a huge appliance electronics dealer in the Chicago area. They sell a lot of video epuipment and had a home theater projection set up. I walked in the room. I see the picture on the screen. It was Spiderman. A film I sometimes use to demo my theater for guests. With the Barco I KNOW how the film is supposed to look. As I glance at the screen....it was not even close. This was a JVC's High Resolution DLA-G150CL. The first thing I noticed was that the resolution was not the same. The screen door effect (I had never seen before but now could recognize it immediately) was obvious and annoying. The clarity of the image was not there. I went to look at the price. !7K Plus!!! I felt so fortunate that I had a CRT at 1/6 the cost! Yes it was not easy to install. But the picture quality even for a novice like me is so drastically different. I am sure the time will come when we will all switich to digital. It is not there yet......not by a long shot. :D

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
LOL - "epiphany" - good way to put it :)

I have experience something totally similar - and I agree with you.

a year ago a friend bough a Sony VW11HT, being so proud of it, he invited me to come and take a look at it.

I had heard people rave about it, so I of cause had big expectations.

But the Sony was the biggest dissapointment I have had for a looong time, and I asked myself - how can anyone rave about a product that displays blacks like this....

yes, I am also VERY happy with my CRT - a 600$ ECP 3500 in perfekt condition....

(The bulp people can have it when they pry it from my cold dead hands) :)

SKÃ…L!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I PREFER A CRT PROJECTOR MYSELF

BUT THE NEWER DIGITAL PROJECTORS ARE NOT THAT BAD

THE DLP YOU SAW MUST HAVE BEEN A REAL BAD SETUP

XANATOS

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Neither of those is a DLP, Xanatos.

The Sony LCD is not even a contender.

And the D-ILA's I've owned (unless the GL150 is a lot different) couldn't

render black worth spit. And had relatively poor contrast.

None of this has much relationship to the performance of the newer DLP's.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Wow man, such a close forum member. I would love to come and check out your theatre. Where do you live?? I'm in Glenwood.

I started off with a BD800, but that damn thing got on my last nerve with focus. Looked like total crap.

Decided on a Dell 3200MP projector for my HT. I'm very happy with it so far, although the black levels suck big time.

What projector are you running?

I've been highly considering a Barco 1200 series projector for an upgrade, but want to burn a few more hours on my Dell for now :^)

Overclkr

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Why do I even read these treads? I know I don't have room for a CRT, but still I read and realize the crappyness of my digital.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Hmmm. That would seem to be a dilemna. Neither choice looks very

promising...

1. a big CRT I don't have room for

2. a crappy digital

maybe you should consider choice #3...

3. a non-crappy digital

:)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yes, but that would involve option #4, which is selling my soul to pay for it.

It is not that my projector is crappy, for the most part I am happy. It is just that when I turn on my little 13" tv I have standing by the screen that I picked up at a garage sale for $20, It is hard to say that my projector has a picture that is any better.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Shoe soles are pretty cheap, you should be able to get a digital.

On the other hand, human souls could be costly. Depends on how good the soul is. :)

EDIT: Argh, post above was corrected, so now mine isn't funny anymore. :mad:

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Which digital projector model are we talking about?

p.s. a $20 TV at a garage sale (and it works no less)?

I have the utmost respect for you. You are obviously a man who knows how to shop. :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My trustly ol DL-450

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I owned one of those little jewels for a year. Loved it. But you

have to use an HTPC with it. It doesn't want anything else connected

to it, period. If you are not already doing that, then do. I think you will

be pleasantly surprised at the result.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hey your cheapness

Quote:
Yes, but that would involve option #4, which is selling my soul to pay for it.
Someone been stealin your lines. LOL

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
That's okay. Mike has a good head on his shoulders.

Always remember the immortal words of the greatest man who ever lived, Mike...

"A penny saved is a penny earned"

--Ben Franklin

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood
I owned one of those little jewels for a year. Loved it. But you

have to use an HTPC with it. It doesn't want anything else connected

to it, period. If you are not already doing that, then do. I think you will

be pleasantly surprised at the result.
Yeap I am running a HTPC for DVD and HDTV (MyHD card set to 800x600). The problem has been that my projector has a bad green-push. I went in there with Davis tuner and cleaned things up greatly-but It is still not prefect. I do agree that it is a great projector, it is just that I made the mistakes of looking at better ones:(

P.s. Like the $20 Tv? My mains (Polk Audio RTA11ts) I got at a garage sale for $60--They sold for about $1000 in 1990.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FertilityDoc
I had an epiphany yesterday. Last year I set up a home theater in my basement. I was fortunate to buy a Barco 808s from Terry Ferentinos. It has been used for over a year with an HTPC and has provided great enjoyment for the family.

Yesterday, I was at ABT Electronics in Glenview. It is a huge appliance electronics dealer in the Chicago area. They sell a lot of video epuipment and had a home theater projection set up. I walked in the room. I see the picture on the screen. It was Spiderman. A film I sometimes use to demo my theater for guests. With the Barco I KNOW how the film is supposed to look. As I glance at the screen....it was not even close. This was a JVC's High Resolution DLA-G150CL. The first thing I noticed was that the resolution was not the same. The screen door effect (I had never seen before but now could recognize it immediately) was obvious and annoying. The clarity of the image was not there. I went to look at the price. !7K Plus!!! I felt so fortunate that I had a CRT at 1/6 the cost! Yes it was not easy to install. But the picture quality even for a novice like me is so drastically different. I am sure the time will come when we will all switich to digital. It is not there yet......not by a long shot. :D
Had similar experience with Mercedes recently. Own a Toyota and love it. No problems. Smooth ride. Comfortable. Borrowed friend's Mercedes yesterday. Never driven a Mercedes before. Got flat tire after about 3 miles, resulting in bumpy ride. Also radio didn't quite sound right. Then engine quit (perhaps due to lack of fuel). Conclusion: Mercedes not even close to Toyota . . . not by a long shot.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FertilityDoc
The first thing I noticed was that the resolution was not the same. The screen door effect (I had never seen before but now could recognize it immediately) was obvious and annoying.
What was your viewing ratio? Have you had laser surgery on your eyes? If you can actually see screendoor on a 92+% fill ratio 1360x1024 projector from 1.5x screen width or so it would seem like you must have bionic eyes. I suspect you saw something else and not screendoor unless you were pretty close to the screen.

--Darin

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I've never seen a properly setup CRT in a showroom either (and I own a CRT projector). I would have never bought one based on showroom displays, and I saw many. I only got interested in CRTs at Hi-Fi '99 in Chicago when I actually saw one set up correctly in a light-controlled environment.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikejz84
Why do I even read these treads? I know I don't have room for a CRT, but still I read and realize the crappyness of my digital.
Mike, I'm betting you do have room for a CRT and you just don't know it. My CRT is currently floor-mounted in my cramped bedroom. Get a CRT with a small footprint and you will be good to go unless your HT room is a closet. That's where you store the 2nd CRT projector you buy and still have money left over instead of buying a "good" digital. ;)

1 - 20 of 287 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.