AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this unit in my home hooked up about 2 hours ago. Very interesting unit, very big unit. This thing is one of the biggest components I have ever seen. 5 1/2 inches high by nearly 16 inches deep and pretty heavy to boot.

Very complicated rear panel, even more so because my unit arrived with no instructions. There are 65 female bnc connectors on the back, one dvi out, one vga out and one computer input, that's it. I tried figuring out which one of the 65 bnc's was for what but, it's tough. Finally hooked up 5 BNC out and DVD component in. Don't have my SDI cable, Don't have my SDI cable. Don't have my DVI cable..Don't ask. I will make any and all attempts to obtain a DVI cable on Saturday.

The good: tons of rates, I only need one but boy the list is a mile long. Tons of aspect ratio control. This is the greatest part of the unit. You can send in any type of signal and scale it out to anamorphic, 1.78, letterbox, 4x3 whatever. People always asked me if I missed cinema wide or natural wide when using the Faroudja. Yes, I did but, not until I used these aspects did I realize how much more important they are, now I can't go back. The native rate on the pro is 1280x768. For the first hour, the Leeza would not output this signal,really wierd. Selected the rate, confirmed the selection but, when I checked to see what the plasma was sensing as the rate, it was 1024x768. Sat here with the dealer in wonder when, all of a sudden, it just popped up correct, the plasma said 1280x768, dot for dot, and it was all good. For the record, the 1000 does lock into PC mode and alter color, contrast and gamma. But, between the Leeza controls and the Plasma controls, I think it can be made to look perfect. Don't worry, I will find out. No chroma delay. Very good image on film based material as well as DVD animation. No chroma problems with the Toy Story tinkertop lid. No bleed or shimmer effect. Would have to say that the image is an 8, the NR was a 9 on color and overall image. However, at dot for dot, with the leeza the image is sharper. The picture can be blown up incrementally and moved horizontally and vertically until the image is dead center on your monitor.

Some Bad: I live in NYC. I deal with sirens, garbage trucks and drunken fools screaming on the street at all hours of the night. I cannot deal with the fan noise on this unit. So loud that upon initial turn on, my delaer looked at me and laughed. "no way, it's broken". It's not broken, that's the fan noise. Oh by the way, not one fan, but 2. One way or another, I will void the warrantee and disconnect it, put some type of attenuator on the fans to quiet them down, or replace them with more quiet fans but, I cannot and will not deal with this noise. Tried putting it in a rack, still bad. Let's continue.

No discrete on/off controls. So you listen to the fans always or get up off your ass to turn the unit on and off. Annoying. Front panel lights remain on at all times. S video requires use of breakout cables to convert to BNC. No, you cannot use your S-video with this unit without the adapter.

Video deinterlacing: This ain't no Faroudja and forget finding DCDI. I was expecting very bad but I got acceptable. There is stairstepping on the flag scene on the VE montage but, not as bad as the Vigatech was. I looked at some photos I took to compare, it was better. The flagpole scene also showed stairstepping, still not smooth and clean like the Faroudja but, I am tough.

My opinions about these deinterlacing algorithyms have not changed. If only, Faroudja knew how bad they were and they still sell more units than anyone. If they ever got there "sh..." together they would kill everyone. No worries, they won't. I have come to accept that I will not get everything from one scaler. I could accept no aspect ratio control from the NR but, not a compromised native rate. With the Leeza, I am compromising the video deinterlacing for the correct rate AND aspect control. I am actual gaining another perk or more by using the Leeza. Let me watch some footabll to see how acceptable the video deinterlacing is in real life viewing. I don't watch a lot of flags on the weekends.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I just want to confirm something, this does have SDI in right?

Also does it do vga out only or does it also do 5 bnc out. I know you commented on these in your review, call me stupid, I want a clear answer

So in picture to picutre comparison, the Leeza is above the Vig but below the Faroujda?

What happened to the instruction book. Are they crazy

Thanks

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the Leeza has SDI in. It has d-sub 15 pin out as well as 5 BNC out. I also believe that it has component video out but, I am uncertain. With 65 connections on the back, I assume it does.

I would say that the Leeza looks better than the Vig I saw about 4 months ago, I haven't seen the new Dunes. Still too soon to tell.

One final note: Just for kicks I put my Sound Pressure Meter up close to the Leeza to see how loud it measured. The LOWEST reading was 60db around the unit, depending on which way I turned the mic on the meter.

·
Registered
925 Posts
60db? ROTFLMAO! what on earth are they thinking?

call these bucketheads and tell them there are PLENTY of companies who make quiet fans out there. fer crissakes, spend the extra dollar per fan so they won't make their customers' eardrums bleed.

sometimes i wonder.......

on a related note, i had an amusing discussion recently with a dealer about the horrible "hum" problem that the new panasonic plasma displays have. we guessed that they must do all the QA work on the factory floor, so noise never came up :)

neat info about the leeza. looking forward to a more detailed treatment. enjoy!

try not to watch too many flags ;)

doody.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Hey fellas,

Ericbee, you move FAST!

Few things:

1. It does have Component out. It probably is a bit hard to find with all the BNC connectors...

2. There are sets of BNCs for each input. Each input can be compsite, SVideo component (or RGBHV, I think).

3. Since they reuse each connector as SVideo OR component or anything else - that's why there are so many BNCs (and no SVideo inputs). They told me that you get a few svideo->BNC splitters with the actual unit. They were also worried about SVideo connectors that are substandard and can alter the 75 ohm inputs.

4. Wow, 60db?! We gotta let these guys know they gotta cut down on noise. This thing must run HOT for 2 fans...

5. I guess they had no time for a manual yet... We should ask them to post it on their site once it's ready.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Well, I think that Whisperflow will now have a new source of income. For those who want the scaler but not the noise, a hushbow for the scaler.

Ericbee, just curious, whats the distance between you and the scaler when you are watching your plasma

In my situation, the scaler would be about 15 feet away from me in a non closed rack, with the back of the machine facing away from me. How audible do you think it will be

Thanks

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
james bond:

to give a few details out before eric's sure to come report:

after having examined both the rock(last May) and leeza personally, but briefly, i can say this:

the main reason to choose the Leeza over the rock+ is simply the sdi in and dvi out, otherwise very similar.

the rock+ offers more control, but no dvi in sight?

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Hi Eric,This is not intended as a jab but you got my curiosity up.I put my sound level pressure meter at it's most sensitive range of 60db and set it on top of my Rock Plus with the mike 3 inches from the fan and barely got a reading of between -10 and -6 db.I believe I remember TAW getting these from a French company.The fan looks to be about 3 inches.Maybe you could order a couple from TAW.:) :)

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wanted to post that the reason there have been no additional updates to the review is because after 24 hours, the unit has died. It will power up but, access and control of the menu system and input selection is impossible, rendering the unit useless. I wanted to wait a day or so to see if it could reboot itself or maybe magically start working again, and it has not. I will finish the review after it is repaired. This is a PC, and as such, is prone to software bugs and malfunctions.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Most of the Ratshack meters read down to 5odb or so. If your meter is only capable of reading down to 60db then you can't accurately read the Rock+ fan noise. The unit I had, before they "Midas-ized it" measured around 47db - but they told me that the fans were being replaced and that I had a prototype. Hopefully they got it down below 30db or so - whichever the case above, your meter apparently can not read that low.

The Leeza at 60db is very loud. I'm sure Mike is working on this though. In fact, I thought the first units to ship were to be considered "preproduction" models much like the Rock vs. Rock+??

If so it may be too soon to write this off as too loud or unstable.

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got off of the phone with Mike, the President of Key Digital. There can be no nicer man in the business. He spent a good deal of time working out the problem. It was not a faulty unit, it was a faulty remote. Apparently, the remote has a problem and loses its memory intermittently. I will program the codes into a Pronto and use it to finish up the review. The unit is not DOA and I will start a new thread to give a more detailed review. Eric

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
I'm glad it turned out to be just a defective remote Eric which brings about another pet peeve of mine.You would think for $5000 plus we could get a few front panel switches and not have to rely totally on a $20.00 remote!:mad:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom.W
I'm glad it turned out to be just a defective remote Eric which brings about another pet peeve of mine.You would think for $5000 plus we could get a few front panel switches and not have to rely totally on a $20.00 remote!:mad:
Never had an EAD TheaterMaster huh?

Eric

How did you wind up talking to Michael Sunday morning and how did you get his home phone number, assuming he doesnt work Sunday mornings

Mike gives out his cell phone number and if you leave a message at tech support after hours... you can pretty much count on Mike calling you.

I called Friday afternoon and I needed some help with a unit. I explained in the message that I needed to install the unit at a clients home Saturday morning. Sat Morning at 9:00... My phone rang and it was Mike.

Great product and the sort of service we aspire to give.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.