AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please do not confuse the contents of this post regarding the original digital leeza with posts about the newly released HD Leeza. I am on the upgrade list for the HD Leeza and await its eventual delivery.

Comcast just started offering HD in my neck of the woods.

I am going to have Comcast deliver a Motorola 5100 on Tuesday. It will likely be at least another month before I will receive an HD Leeza. My display device is a Fujitsu P50 plasma display and I do have a digital Leeza now.

My options at this point would appear to be to input the signal from the 5100 to the current digital Leeza and use the digital Leeza as an HD pass through (using really nothing more than its switching capabilities for HD) or to run the 5100 directly to one of the P50 inputs (component would be best I think).

What do you guys think would be best at the moment:

- run the 5100 through the digital Leeza using it as a switch with HD pass through

- run the 5100 directly to the P50

I think the best thing to do at the moment would be to use the digital Leeza as an HD pass through and use the digital Leeza to scale SD signals coming from the Motorola 5100 (Maybe over the 5100s' S-video out or composite out).

Presuming that to be true, for HD should I "pass through" a:

1080I

or

720P signal to the P50 from the 5100 through the digital Leeza?

It does appear from the digital leeza manual that the HD pass through signal must go to the display through an RGBHV connection between the display and the Leeza with SD signals continuing to go to the panel through the DVI connection. Although that is what I think the manual says, I thought that the RGBHV input was disabled by the the use of the DVI input. Yes, No??

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't know if this would be as true with cable as it is with my OTA signal but regular TV looks better out of my STB (DTC100) using the VGA output into the Leeza. Using the Svideo out into the Leeza and scaling isn't even close in picture quality. I would imagine your STB would be the same.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have both a Digital Leeza and a Motorola 5100 from Comcast. My projector only accepts RGB and the 5100 only outputs component, so I tried to use the Leeza as a pass-through with transcoding.

I was unsuccessful. For months I thought there was something wrong with the 5100 but it turned out that the problem was in the Leeza's transcoding. For some reason the Leeza does not properly transcode the output of the Motorola 5100; the color space was completely wrong and the image was unwatchable. Because I was successfully using the Leeza to transcode other component signals (the output of Panasonic TU-DST50 and TU-DST51 STBs) I didn't sufficiently suspect the Leeza.

I'm now passing all component signals through an Extron component-to-RGB converter (fronted by a KD switcher) and the image from the 5100 is fine.

There are no problems with the scaled SD signals from the Leeza.

I mention all this because from your description of your setup it seems possible that you might run into the same problem (if you're trying to transcode as well as pass through).

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!!

rrg,

sounds like you just saved me a ton of time. Since I am going to end up with an HD Leeza at some point (and the way the spec is written would seem to indicate that it should handle a 5100), I guess my options are to attach the 5100 via component directly to the P50 for now, or get what must be an Extron CVC200 for use now and maybe for always if this is going to be a problem with the HD Leeza as well.

This might be a bit of an unfair question , but I am only asking an opinion. From what you have experienced, do you think that I would need the CVC200 even with an HD Leeza?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rrg:

Do you think that one of the KD adaptors would work just as well?

KD-XB looks like the right part number.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I also had the same problem with the 5100 and the digital leeza. After discussing problem with Mike T. at KD and Mike Parker, I added 75 ohm terminators to the input of the leeza and get a watchable picture but have to turn the brightness and contrast gain way up on the projector. KD is aware of the problem and I have yet to hear if they have it solved in the HD Leeza. Will known soon when it arrives.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am about to be in the same boat. I think that I will just run component out of the 5100 directly to the component in on the Fujitsu P50 plasma display or use the component pass through on the digital Leeza instead of trying to trans-code component to RGBHV.

I think this is the best out for me until my HD Leeza is ready and replaces my digital Leeza.

In fact, I think direct to the P50 from the component out of the 5100 is likely to make the most sense since the digital Leeza would only be a pass through anyway.

I have been using composite video from the soon to be extinct SA digital cable box provided by what was AT&T to the digital Leeza and scaling that signal. I think I might try S-Video out of the 5100 into the digital Leeza and continue to scale SD material or I might continue to use composite. I have never tried S-video into the Leeza. If it is much improved over composite for SD material, that won't be a bad thing. All of this is really temporary I think?? Ultimately I should be able to enable a DVI output from the 5100 to what will be an HD Leeza.

Any flaws in that approach that you guys can see?

In my case, it would seem a waste to buy a CVC200 at this point unless I am missing something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.