AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my situation- a long digital optical run (100 feet) between AVRs i could detect directly but not thru a switch (signal wasn't strong enough). bought an amp for like $30 and hooked it at the source end (i.e., it had to throw 100 feet). it threw it strong enough to work thru the switch at the other side. it was only rated for 60 feet, but that is conservative.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is a strange situation. I would suspect that its the cable's fault other than the distance. The distance itself is very short actually, and assuming a generous attenuation of 1db/km (most would be less) its still around a loss of .03 db over the run. My guess is that the fiber has lost its integrity, or that a connector isn't perfect. The losses there would explain the need for aplification. Unless of course your starting point is using a really diminutive LD :)

But regardless Cheers that its working!

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
100' is three times the Toslink spec length of 10 meters. You can't very well say that it's the cables fault. Instead, since it works with one receiver rather than the other, I'd judge that the weak link is the failing receiver.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
3 meters x 3 = about 100'?

Is my math that rusty? I think you meant to say something more like 10 or 11 times right? Or did you mean inches and not feet?

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
The toslink spec of optical cable for max length is about 12'-15'..

Also be sure to avoid sharp bends..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think I can say to start to doubt the cable - This is why.. attenuation is fiber is nothing.. If its not coupling, than I think that the next thing to look at is the integrity of the cable, toslink cables or whaetver - its still fiber. My original statement is that it is not the distance that would cause this to happen. Once a beam is coupled, it doesn't attenuate too much...

That is my only concern, that the signal is clearly being attenuated, and intrinsically to the fiber, it shouldn't be its attenuation

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had explained my dilemma more thoroughly in another thread.

the 100' raw cable worked when plugged directly into the receiving AVR, but not when it had to go thru a switch adjacent to the receiving AVR. the switch functions properly- with closer sources the switch did not impede flow. i also tried each of the 3 inputs at the switch.

amplifying the signal at the source, it now works when it has to go thru the switch.

$30 amp, $30 switch, together solved a big problem for me- whole house surround sound from selectable HTPC sources.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCarncross
3 meters x 3 = about 100'?

Is my math that rusty? I think you meant to say something more like 10 or 11 times right? Or did you mean inches and not feet?
No, I meant 10 meters. Corrected now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.