AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i want to connect my LG 43UJ6500 tv to my AVR using the digital audio out port. Do i get a digital optical cable? Spdif? Toslink cable? Or are the all the same thing? And which brand is good? Are there different qualities? How's this one? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2764

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Toslink are optical cables. SPDIF cables are coax cables.

You can tell the two apart by the ends - SPDIF/coax cables look like regular RCA cables with a center pin and outer circular sleeve. Toslink cables have an oddball connector that's squarish, or looks like a really long 3.5mm plug.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Wikipedia's take, which is consistent with what I've read elsewhere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

S/PDIF is an audio format, transmitted over an optical cable or a co-axial cable. Optical fiber or copper, the format is the same. They are both S/PDIF cables.

Your LG TV uses an optical S/PDIF output. Get the optical cable. It is also called Toslink.

It's a digital signal cable, so there may be zero performance advantage for an expensive cable. You may be just as happy with the 6' version of this one: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1447&seq=1&format=2

It's $2US.

Funny how the cheapest 6' Toslink cable that BestBuy sells is $15US. (I might cheerfully pay that, if I was in a hurry.)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny how the cheapest 6' Toslink cable that BestBuy sells is $15US. (I might cheerfully pay that, if I was in a hurry.)
If you buy it online fron monoprice and pay shipping, it will around $15 anyways

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
If you buy it online fron monoprice and pay shipping, it will around $15 anyways
Always a problem with ordering online.

If you're an Amazon Prime member, you may prefer to buy it there. (I don't see the cheap Toslinks there, though. Still cheaper than BB.) I think I'd go for the Blue Rigger cable for $6.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
If it should be less than 10 feet, why do they sell upto 50 foot lengths?
Because in certain installations longer runs are required...
Longer runs can go up to 500' if an TosLink/Optical Extender or Transmitter is used..
Another key variable is the type of fiber used..
Several types of fiber can be used:
  • Inexpensive 1 mm plastic optical fiber
  • Higher-quality multistrand plastic optical fibers
  • Quartz glass optical fibers
Another variable is bandwidth, wider bandwidths require a more expensive, powerful TosLink transmitter..
But consumer products like an HD display or Blu-Ray player utilize a lower cost Toslink transmitters that have lower output so a max cable run is up to 15'. Some people may try longer runs but signal dropout is probable due to a weaker signal. However in some of the latest satellite receivers, PCs and pro-gear that utilize a more costly higher-powered TosLink transmitter, these are capable of driving runs up to about 100'. And in commercial installs when a CAT 5/6 to optical extender is used even longer runs are possible.

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Wikipedia's take, which is consistent with what I've read elsewhere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

S/PDIF is an audio format, transmitted over an optical cable or a co-axial cable. Optical fiber or copper, the format is the same. They are both S/PDIF cables.

Your LG TV uses an optical S/PDIF output. Get the optical cable. It is also called Toslink.

It's a digital signal cable, so there may be zero performance advantage for an expensive cable. You may be just as happy with the 6' version of this one: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1447&seq=1&format=2

It's $2US.

Note that the mentioned 6' TosLink cable sold by Best Buy under the Insignia brand(NS-HZ507) for $17.99 costs them $3.75.. Audio, video, USB, LAN cables are the highest profit category @ Best Buy...

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Note that the mentioned 6' TosLink cable sold by Best Buy under the Insignia brand(NS-HZ507) for $17.99 costs them $3.75.. Audio, video, USB, LAN cables are the highest profit category @ Best Buy...

Just my $0.02... ;)
I wonder if they'd try to sell an extended warranty on cables? Years ago, I was told that the extended warranties were priced by an actuary to give 85% profit, on average.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I wonder if they'd try to sell an extended warranty on cables? Years ago, I was told that the extended warranties were priced by an actuary to give 85% profit, on average.
I don't recall the economic specifics...
But I can tell U extended warranties were a major profit center. For example, if a basic AVR had a 2 year warranty covered by the brand. Next a 3rd party would sell a 3 year extension for $100, however if the AVR lasted 2 years, there was a good chance of lasting 5 years the 3rd party took the $100 and ran to the bank...

Just my $0.02.. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts