Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya folks...

Ok, I THINK I have finally found my problem. Here's the situation....

Card: Audigy 2

Source: AC3 test VOB file

Software: AC3 filter and Zoomplayer

I'm only getting 2 channels (left and right front) but my reciever is telling me that I'm getting a digital signal (but not dolby digital). The filter tells me that it's recieving and sending all the channels while it's playing.

The only thing I can think of, is my connection to the reciever. I am using the coax digital in for my reciever. My Radio Shack guy just scratched his head when I told him I needed a digital mini to RCA connector. I think I got the right one, which looked like a mini to mono connector, but now I'm thinking that it may not be passing all the info. Is there something there I'm missing (some mystery connector), or might I have some software foulup?

Desperate for advice... I'm throwing everything at this I can..... please, someone bless me with some digital lovin!!

Funky D

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
FWIW, a digital signal can only be stereo. You have to make sure that you have some sort of dolby digital, ac-3, etc., signal. I don't think you have cable problems either, because digital is an all-or-nothing deal -- either you are getting the signal or not. You can't "lose" channels in a digital signal like that.

Is there any way you can test your source material on the computer? I.e., make sure that you're outputting a dolby digital signal.

·
Registered
376 Posts
This sounds like a software thing. I think I remember reading somewhere that 6 channel digital out didn't work with the newer audigy drivers, and that you may need to use the original drivers that came with your card.

I also remember reading that unless you have a cambridge soundworks system, you're only going to get 2 channel digital out from the audigy. Where the truth is in this I don't know

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eureka!!!

God knows why I didn't get this before, but here we go.....

1. Set the AC3 filter to SPDIF. Before I had it as 5-channel (my speaker setup) and it was mixing the sound tracks together. After doing this step, my reciever lit up Dolby Digital as the incoming source when playing an AC3 track, and just digital when anything else happened.

2. Ok, it says it's recieving dolby digital, but still no lovin from the back speakers. Maybe I should test it. Where is that Pioneer 850 manual? Hmmm, first push *click* WHOOOAA! Little red light with the Dolby digital logo lights up and everything sounds beautiful. Apparently my next mistake was the reciever wasn't putting OUT the signal it was getting in. *hits forehead*

Wow. Wow wow. All these speakers and the projector seem like a MUCH better investment. *grin*

Other (non AC3) make the dobly prologic indicator light up. After setting it to expanded mode, I'm getting true dolby digital on AC3 sources, and a pretty good surround effect on everything else (mp3, and stereo-encoded movies).

Mucho thanks mdryja and llama. If you guys ever make it down to Houston, I owe you a movie, and a glass of 25 year old scotch.

Funky D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.