AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I looked around and couldn't find an answer so I hope this isn't double posting. Well I have an XBR6 52", PS3, Crappy HD DVR, and Samsung AS720.

My question is how well does the digital audio out (optical) work on the XBR6. What I want to do it connected my 2 components via HDMI to the TV, and send the Optical from the TV to the AS720. The reason for doing this is so when I'm watching TV I can listen to the TV speakers and easily turn on the receiver to get my 5.1. I hope I explained it well enough. Just to reiterate, what I want is to be able the use my TV speakers w/o using receiver and be able the just turn on the receiver to get my 5.1.

Is there an easier way of doing it? Will simply using HDMI from device > reciever > TV do what I want?

Thanks a lot guys. 1st post go Samsung and Sony!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
That trick often does not work. TVs often can't send multi-channel audio over their digital outputs unless it's from their tuner. What seems to be the case, is that are limited to two channel PCM over their digital out when the audio is sourced outside the TV.

You can always try it, just be aware you might be limited. For example, hooking up a DVD player, you might only get stereo sound from the TVs digital out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts