AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using their home theater pc with software like photoshop to process and show their digital photgraphy, or perhaps just showing picture CD's though their DVD and pj?

One other side benifit I though I would have is to show the picture CD's you get back with your photo prints, and images taken with a digital camera through the pj for a big screen presentaion.

Comments? Any DVD model suggestions?

Thanks,

·
Registered
217 Posts
We do...the media tank sits on the 2nd floor and my HTPC is in the basement with the X1. Via 802.11b I map the media tank's pictures/movies sub-directory and show (mainly my wife) pictures and movies of our 6 mo-old son. It's nothing fancy, just XP's picture viewer and WM9.

Rgds,

JohnW

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ditto for me with Windows XP's Picture Viewer and Slide show feature. All my digital pics are in folders by Month. Open one pic in a folder, click the slide show icon and the whole thing goes full screen and repeats until you stop it. I've even copied batches of pics to a temporary folder (say 150 pics) and just let it run for the entire party.

the stuff you get from the photo lab on picture disc looks crappy since its typically low resolution. 2 or 3 megapixel photos look awesome on my Sammy DLP RPTV. PJ should be really cool.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have been using myHTPC to display digital photos. I believe the default installation has myPictures as a menu item. All you have to do is cofigure it point it to folders/directries containing your pix. For each folder of pictures, it displays a folder icon with thumbnails of the contained pictures. Just click a folder and then click "Slideshow".

I would probably use myHTPC to display digital photos even if I wern't using it as a frontend for everything. One of the best freeware packages I've found.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to the above for all your replies. It appears you all have Windows media PC's and I have read enough up on them to know it can be done. What I am needing to do short term if I can is just show picture CD's (like back those from the Kodak processing lab from a DVFD player that handles Jpeg - I thought the Kodqk picture CD's were scanned in 5 resolutions or so), or I could take the picture CD and copy to a hard drive and run it from there under the simpler Windows media player or something.

This will get me experienced somewhat before I switch my film cameras over to digital equipment in the next several months. For now I just want to enjoy the images on my new big screen. (I am using the IF 7200 and a 104" 16:9 screen). I'm thinking it will display them but I don't know how good they will look. Also, I don't know how I will handle vertical and horizontal shots. probably with black bars maybe.

I should ask too, Windows Media 9 is the big home theater PC program, and Windows media player (I think v 9 is latest) is in the Home Edition of Windows XP program, which would contain Windows picture viewer - corrrect? In other words there is a difference...

Tom

·
Registered
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tcbarb
Is anyone using their home theater pc with software like photoshop to process and show their digital photgraphy, or perhaps just showing picture CD's though their DVD and pj?

One other side benifit I though I would have is to show the picture CD's you get back with your photo prints, and images taken with a digital camera through the pj for a big screen presentaion.

Comments? Any DVD model suggestions?

Thanks,
I also use myHTPC's media viewer. Works great! Any photo touch-up is done on my other machine using Photoshop; I just dump a copy of our photos on the HTPC for general viewing.

-Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.