AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes an HD2 DLP PJ worth $10000 or $15000 when a same-resolution (1280x720) LCD PJ sells for $2000 or $3000? I would love to know what the actual cost-to-manufacture is on these things.

I have to assume that they can charge $10000 because people will pay $10000 even if they are only getting a slightly better image than from a $3000 PJ.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Probably cause of better image quality.. i've seen some projectors cost upwards of 40k! You could almost buy a house for that much in some cities, hehe. More expensive projectors probably are brighter, and have better darker colors and blacks. Along with better contrast.

I'm sure you are not getting what you pay for in comparision to what you get when you buy a 1k-2k projector, but for the best possible projector image, there is no other option.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a hard time believing "brighter", "better colors/deeper blacks", and maybe "better optics" raises the price from $2000 to $15000. Much of the price difference simply has to be market driven.

The cost-to-manufacture of the $2000 PJ may be $800 but I can't believe the cost-to-manufacture of the $15000 PJ is say $6000. (40%)

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you're looking for the pricing 'sweet spot' for front projection, I'd say it's in the $2k to $3K range. This is where you get the best bang for your buck. If, on the other hand, you HAVE to have the best available (or you have to have LCOS technology) then you are going to have to spend significantly more $. I personally feel that with the fp technology ramp that exists today, unless you have money to burn, you're better off getting by with a $2K to $3K projector that has high res but not quite as good brightness or contrast and wait for a couple of years when today's $10K to $15K technology will be selling for $2K to $3K.

FWIW

:cool:

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dpadair
I have a hard time believing "brighter", "better colors/deeper blacks", and maybe "better optics" raises the price from $2000 to $15000. Much of the price difference simply has to be market driven.

The cost-to-manufacture of the $2000 PJ may be $800 but I can't believe the cost-to-manufacture of the $15000 PJ is say $6000. (40%)
With the $10k projectors you're probably not paying so much for the incremental per unit cost, but you're subsidizing the R&D that goes into the developing the newest technologies. That's something else to consider.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jckessler
With the $10k projectors you're probably not paying so much for the incremental per unit cost, but you're subsidizing the R&D that goes into the developing the newest technologies. That's something else to consider.
Yes that's probably true just like with CPUs. The latest and fastest chips are always ultra expensive but the price drops quickly as volumes increase.

The actual cost to make the chip is almost nothing but they have to recoup the fab equipment costs.

Too bad PJ prices don't as fast as CPU prices.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think its all margin. Think about it, Samsung sells the 43" DLP RPTV for say $3400. It has the same HD2 mustang DLP package as the 6-10K PJ. It also has more inputs, more menu items, an actual audio subsystem, 2 NTSC tuners, a giant plastic housing, screen, $50 in cardboard packaging, costs say 10 times as much to ship from Korea.

Are the PJ people paying TI more for the package than Samsung? I don't know. there was a thread sometimes back saying that TI was telling the RPTV people what pricepoints their products had to fall into, to keep the manufacturers from pricing DLP up with Plasma, since the picture quality was similar and DLP had some advantages. The same conspiracy theory held that Samsung had nothing to lose and bought-in big, whereas all the other high end manufacturers (Sony, etc.) didn't want the product out there at such a low price point vis-a-vis plasma. Have no idea if any of this is true, urban legend or what. The idea of established manufactuerers trying to hold a price point is pretty legit though.

Whats the difference between the BenQ HD2 DLP at say 5K and another at 7K. Margin, brand and optics probably.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
There's certainly a point of diminishing return for your investment. That point is lower for some than for others. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.