AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Pre-Amps anyone ?

372 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Nathan Ivey 
#1 ·
I hedged my upgrade bets and sold my beloved EAD Ovation, though I still have it in my possession. I am waiting to see what comes out of CES from EAD. I may go 2-channel, as really that's all I listen to, and pick-up a Denon AVR-3801 for H.T.

In the meantime, I have taken home the Muscial Fidelity A3-CR, and the Sim Audio P-5. These 2 easily bested my EAD in many ways, but overall, I would keep my Ovation. Then I had the Jeff Rowland Concentra intregratd. What a great pre-amp and sweet sounding amp. Then last night, a friend brought over his 6 year old Blue Circle BC 3 tube pre-amp, and another veil was lifted - easily besting the Rowland. Gilbert of Blue Circle will be showing off a remote control tube pre-amp at CES, which I will definietley audition. Many thanks to my dealer, Alternative Audio, for letting me eval such great gear.

Anyway, back to subject at hand: the TACT RCS 2.0 and the Z-Systems RDP-1. These are digital pre-amps with digital volume control. The Z-Systems is also a manual digital EQ, while the TACT is a fully automated digital room correction system. All very cool stuff. At some other sites, there are users who have ditched some pretty high-end analog pre-amps ( Rowland & Levinson ) for the TACT and Z-Systems. Then there is the Perp Tech P-1 and its room correction options, but I do not like how they sell these features.

Are there any users utilizing such products. In 3 years, can we foresee receivers with full digital room correction built-in ? In my own pre-amp quest, I think the TACT culd be money very well spent.

- Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy Lammer (edited 12-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Andy Lammer (edited 12-12-2000).]

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.