Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Well I got the Digital Projection Ivision HD all setup in my theater. Basically, this is an HD2+ DLP projector. It offers a slew of inputs, including 2 component which is nice. It is very compact and quiet, which is a plus. Don’t let the size fool you…it is built like a tank. Even for its size it weighs a good amount so you can “feel†the quality. I ran it through the gammit, DVD, DSS standard and HDTV, and DVHS HDTV to see how it compares with some of the other latest HD2+ units. Honestly, Alan said it before, I don’t think anyone of these in particular blows any other away. They all have their own pros and cons. Some particular things I liked about this one:

Bright: One of the brightest I’ve seen. I have a 103†Silverstar and a 100†Firehawk. On the Silverstar I found that I had to cut down the lamp controls (separate brightness and contrast then the normal ones) in order to not have it overly bright. For the Firehawk, I found that if I left the settings about factory (for the lamp) it was adequate brightness. For those with a family room situation where light is a concern, this might be one to consider. I’d put it on par with the Infocus in this regard, which is known to be one of the brighter DLP’s.

Smooth: What I mean by this is that the digital artifacting, such as dithering, was kept to a minimum. Even on the Silverstar, which can tend to exagerate that, it was much better than some others I have seen.

Deep blacks: Even though it is bright, and sometimes the black levels are sacrificed to achieve that, this isn’t the case with the Ivision. Upon initial setup, I could get the brightness where I wanted easily, and still maintain a high degree of black levels no problem.

Colors: Very vibrant and punchy. I’ve seen better reds (namely on the Sim2’s which tend to have the richest deep reds I’ve seen), but the overall colors were very good.

Depth: Seemed to have a very 3D look. Some projectors tend to appear very 2 dimensional, but this did not have those characteristics at all.

I must note that I have not done a full calibration on this yet, so it can only get better.

All in all I’m very pleased with this unit. There are only a couple negative things that I think are worth mentioning right now. First, there is more light spill out of the projector than I would like. Now when I say this, I don’t mean by the screen. There I did not see any light spill at all. What I mean is through the fan vents and whatnot. For anyone sitting in my backrow, which is behind the projector (relatively short throw compared to some), that might tend to be a tad distracting. Now I sat in the back row to see if it was for me…didn’t find it bad, but again, I could see where it might for some people. I also have black ceilings, so it was not as apparent as it might in a lighter colored room. The other, and this is a bigger one, is the remote. You can tell it was not developed from the ground up for this projector, but rather adopted from likely another presentation unit DP sells. The hardest thing to get used to is the trackball you have to use for controlling the directions on the menu. Now I plan to program it into my MX800, but that could prove to be a tad tricky.

Now here are some screen shots:
http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/2PJ.jpg

This is the projector mounted with a Chief Mount. Note the small size (weird color huh?).

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/2U571-1.jpg

DTheater HDTV screen capture.

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/2HDTV-DSS.jpg

HDTV image off DSS. I would have liked a more closeup, but I had no way to freeze the image and with the longer exposure on the camera I kept getting fuzzy images. This scene was pretty stable.

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/2Nemo1.jpg

DVD shot of Nemo. I think this one really shows the vibrant colors.

http://gallery.avsforum.com/data/509/2LOTR2.jpg

DVD shot of LOTR. What review would be complete without it! :)

If anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to contact me and I’d be happy to discuss. Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The blacks look very deep. Did you use the silverstar or the firehawk for the screenshots?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The screenshots were done with the Silverstar and with the lamp turned down on the unit. The camera settings might be off as well somewhat. The actual blacks are indeed deep, but there is more detail in the image then what the camera shows.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
what's the MSRP on this baby?

·
Premium Member
24,637 Posts
"The blacks look very deep."

Screen shots are notorious for making every pj look like it has good blacks, even LCD's. Basically the camera crushes the dimmest parts of the picture to black no matter what.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Jason,

If you still have this unit, would you please check if the vertical shift is active through component and DVI? The manual leaves alot to the imagination.

Any more observations after calibrating?

Thanks very much.

Pip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.