Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking into shifting my regular TV viewing over to a Lamp Projector. Nothing fancy.. I would be happy with an SVGA and will live with the artifacts the best I can.

Just looking for something very affordable up front and in the long run.

Suggestions?

------------------
Buyer's Guide to HTPC for Newbiess>c>

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I think you are looking for something like the Davis 450 (and it's many clones) It has an excellent picture (SVGA)and should be purchased for well under $2000 used.

The replacement bulb for this projector is rated at an incredible 6000 hours. The bulb it comes with is a 2000 hour bulb.

The AVS forum here sells it new (don't know what they're asking for it...)

Robert

------------------

Robert Clark

See our home theater (with very poor quality pics!)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...874&a=12744078

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I like the Davis a lot for watching movies in a room with controlled lighting. For TV I think it is not bright enough. If you are not fussy about contrast level a Delta AV600AB is a 1000 ansi lumens and has a 4000 hour bulb. You would probably need a DVDO to go with it.

Len

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The Davis would be a good projector for your application. Typical lamp time on a DL450 is about 2000 hours, although I have seen them go longer. The bulbs aren't all that expensive to replace either. I do have a demo DL450. It has about 170 hours on it but is in mint condition. It has all accessories and the original box. It also still has full manufacturers warranty. The price on it is $1999.00 plus shipping. Send me an email if you are interested.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses and suggestions guys.

The reason I asked for a long life and low cost bulb is because I'd be running it with ambient lighting and for longer hours pretty much like a TV I guess.

I live in a small apartment and my current setup is in my living room. 'TV' watching is not dedicated. I go around my chores while it's running and with my current HTPC-CRT setup the image washes out when i turn on lights.. not to mention crappy NTSC is not worth wasting my precious tubes.

I was looking for something around $1500 if possibe (still recovering from the CRT purchase http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif and don't wanna step out of Front Projection http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Thanks a bunch!

------------------

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Riverside,

Projector Central has a couple of Davis 450 clones (ViewSonic PJL830) for sale in their used section in your price range. http://www.projectorcentral.com/used_projectors.c fm?bll=any&bul=any&wll=any&wul=any&prll=any&prul=2000&res_fa mily_id=2&trig=1

Remember, the new Phillips replacement bulbs for the Davis 450 clones run for 6000 hours. You will not find any longer lasting bulbs for any digital projector...

You might consider using a HighPower screen since you'll be using it with the lights on (a bad idea for most projectors BTW).

Robert

------------------

Robert Clark

See our home theater (with very poor quality pics!)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...874&a=12744078

[This message has been edited by Robert Clark (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am also looking for a projector with similar qualities. I am considering the Philips line ie...Proscreen or SV10 Hopper. Does anyone have any feedback on these projectors for home theater application?

Thanks a ton.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a 450 clone and I can't say it would be a good unit for watching T.V. in high ambiant light conditions.

It has a so-so de-interlacer that puts the image in a 640x480 box and no HD support. It puts out only about 600 lumens and although you can get a 6000 hour bulb it is expensive.

I think you might be better off with an Infocus LP 340 that you might be able to get for under $2500. It has 1300 Lumens, an excellent de-interlacer, HD support, and uses a 2000 hour bulb that costs a little over 1/2 of the 450 bulb.

If you focus on a small gray screen, it might be acceptable for T.V.

------------------

--Bob

·
Registered
386 Posts

I've had a DL450 clone in my home theater for over a year and have been very pleased with this projector. It gives a razor-sharp image with no visible rainbows. As someone mentioned above, the internal scalar sucks, so a external scalar or HTPC is a must. I have used the projector with first a Crystal Image scalar and now a Radeon-based HTPC and both looked good (but the HTPC was a big improvement)

I recently purchased the 6000 hour replacement bulb for around $415 shipped (can anyone really get an LP340 bulb for around $200?), so there is no doubt that the DL450 is the least expensive projector to run (less than 7 cents an hour). However, my experience is that it is just not bright enough for a viewing environment with significant amounts of ambient light. This has posed no problem for me because my home theater is light controlled, but because the DL450 does not perform well with ambient light I do all my TV watching through a direct view set I keep in another room.

So as much as I like the DL450 I think you will need to find a brighter projector for your particular application.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Jim just hit the nail on the head...

I love these little puppies as I am a self confessed HTPC nut and do not want to have a machine with good (read expensive R&D and electronics passed on to the consumer in RRP) scaler...

I would like PJ's to come in 2 flavors one with scaler for the plug and play crowd and one with a pure VGA input and pretty much nothing else. Unfortunately most of the newer HT based machines that are the ones coming with better and better screen images are also bundling expensive electronics that I don't need or want. However to grumble about better HT PJ's hitting the market is pure sour grapes any advancement should be a source of gratitude.

Anyway to get back on track.. I do use my PJ as a TV (its the only TV in my apartment) but it does not have enough 'punch' if you do not have full light control, and even if you do have the ability, do you really want total darkness every time you watch TV ?? Luckily for me I abhor most OTA programming so I tend to surf the web or watch DVD's, casual viewing can be lacking in punch as I only need a good news feed, the rest is leave it rather than take it..

Great machine with the two drawbacks of light output and scaling circuitry... Lamp life of 6k hours for $415 and one in the classifieds for $1450...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
315 Posts
Jim & Freddy,

I am pretty sure the 450 is not a clone of the Proxima DS1, but as they are very similar, except for the bulb, I was hoping you two may have some suggestions for me on getting the most from a DS1.

I posted a couple new topics about this subject, so feel free to respond there: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/008196.html http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/008195.html

Thanks!

Nils Luehrmann

------------------

WARNING: If I expressed an opinion that you might disagree with, please remember it is ONLY an opinion and "your mileage may vary".

My DVD Collectionc>

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for the suggestions.. i'm checking out used PJ's at Proj. Central right now.

Another thing.. I really don't need a quality internal line doubler etc cuz i'll use an HTPC. Would these digital projectors be able to sync at [email protected] progressive??

Also, I'm looking for the best Bulb Life/Cost factor, so lower hours but cheaper replacement bulb PJ's are in too.

Keep the suggestions coming.. I see a Lamp in my apartment in the near future!

------------------

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Almost any business PJ will sync to a SVGA signal but make sure you are sending the PJ its native panel resolution not its stated max resolution which is often an (ugly) scale job...

The only exceptions that I can think of that do not take a VGA input are the Sony VW10HT and 400Q models that are HT based models that only accept component RGB and you then need a VGA to RGB converter...

Basically almost all 4:3 business units will accept HTPC input.

I believe the 6000 hour $415 bulb for the Davis units is one of the cheapest $/Hour items out there but be aware that you will need good light control (and by that I mean no blinds and heavy dark curtains) if this is to be used in a general purpose room as a regular TV...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.