AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I take the leap to replace my CRT with a DILA does anybody know of any digital projectors with 1920 x 1080 native resolution in the next 12 months ? I sure don't remember seeing or hearing of anything at CES last January or Cedia earlier this month, but it would NOT surprise me if I missed something. I am not independently wealthy so I am talking about something in the sub $20K range. If not the next 12 months has anybody heard any timeframe rumblings for something like this at all. If common wisdom this is more than 24 months out then I might as well proceed down the DILA + Anamorphic path until my dream projector is created and affordable.

Thx

Bryan

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
There will most likely be... And it will be far more expensive than you can imagine. Upwards of 100K it will be. And many will they sell... Yes.

·
Premium Member
24,992 Posts
I think 6 mos or so JVC's product roadmap had 1920x1080 coming out in 2002.

IIRC TI has stated that 1280x720 was as far as they intended to go for consumer products. After seeing it, I'm inclined to think their thinking is sound.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
774 Posts
Bryan,

While our 1.3" QXGA device is not cost effective for lower priced HT applications, there are plans on our product roadmap to introduce a 0.9" QXGA or 1920x1080 device that would be entirely practical for upper end HT products.

There are a good number of applications for 1500-4000 lumen projectors with either QXGA or HDTV resolution and I can't imagine us or someone else using D-ILA technology to address those markets.

In the meantime, it's hard to beat the current product with an anamorphic adapter...

Regards,

------------------

Tom Stites

Director, Business Development

Digital Systems Division

JVC Professional Products

"My opinions do not necessarily reflect..."

·
Registered
578 Posts
ThreeFive Systems has a LCoS chip (same thing as D-ILA) that's 1200x1980! So it can do 1080x1920P or the comp. monitor res. of 1200x1600P.

They state that they should begin production soon, and they already have 1024x1280P 3 chip system in production that's being used in RCA's new RPTVs.

I'm sure front projection's around the corner for this chip and that 1920P chip'll follow soon after. -that's based on the production schedlues they state, and have followed through with-

And I doubt a FP with these chips 'll be anywhere near the 100K price range. Sure there'll be an initial high premium, but not THAT extreme. I'm betting next year there'll be some new LCoS F.P. from companies like Infocus or NEC that use the 1024P chips, and a year or so later 1080P systems start appearing.

That's based off the fact that RCA, Samsung, and Phillips' new 3 chip tv's (yeah, not 'prized companies') are gonna start at about half the price of current equal res. single chip DLPs from other companies like Panasonic, Mitsu. etc...

And F.P. DLP systems are waaaaaaay cheaper than all these 'dinky' new RPTVs.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Yep! sounds like fun.

However.. It has been stated that it will take digital technology 3-5 years to surpass current CRT technology. And, CRT technology is not holding still, it is still geting better. But, that mostly on the tweaker front, not the actual commercial front.. the mundanes being satisfied with less than the max quality vailable. I can't wait for the max quality digital units though, but I suspect that I will have to make that happen, by modifying my own. First I need that high rez digital unit, though.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[email protected]

·
Registered
79 Posts
As azryan stated "ThreeFive Systems has a LCoS chip (same thing as D-ILA) that's 1200x1980!"

They are not the only company manufacturing LCos chips. There will be several new projectors shipping next year using LCos.

Although there will be an initial premium for a new technology in a limited market, the lower cost of producing the LCos (versus DLP) should make them price competitive right away.

It's only a matter of time before a company makes a HT projector at very high resolution and LCos is probably the technology that will be used.

There should be a few LCos products shown at CES.

--sdc

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I can see that DILA will as Tom said get to 1920x1080 in the not too distant future. Dlp and TI are chasing a different market. I am dissapointed that TI are doing that but volume is more important in their roadmap.

I just hope JVC starts getting the HT companies like Runco/Vidikron/Dwin/Seleco/Madrigal into DILA and a native 1920x1080 display.

I sure think TI might find themselves under pressure if JVC can get its act together. If they get into Digital Cinema with the QXGA unit I think TI is in big drama.

The only thing stopping this is cost.IMHO

DavidW

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by noah katz:
I think 6 mos or so JVC's product roadmap had 1920x1080 coming out in 2002.
Yes - for what JVC calls "Digital Cinema" - read

"commercial movie theaters".

These QXGA units will be priced over $200K!!

JVC has mentioned distant plans for a high-end

"home" version selling in excess of $100K.

Unless you have effectively limitless funds to

indulge this hobby - native 1920X1080 D-ILA

resolution in the home is not even on the horizon.

Greg

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Wallis:
I sure think TI might find themselves under pressure if JVC can get its act together. If they get into Digital Cinema with the QXGA unit I think TI is in big drama.

The only thing stopping this is cost.IMHO

DavidW
I don't understand the cost statement. The refrigerator-sized oven TI is promoting for digital cinema is much lower resolution, costs roughly the same and is at least 10x the volume (size) of the QXGA JVC has been showing.

I've seen the TI digital cinema projector. It's very nice: bright with great reds. Resolution is the problem. I'd love to A/B compare it with the JVC and I've been trying to get the folks working on digital cinema here to do so. I hope I'll be able to see it when they do!

Tom: who can I contact to get a demo of the QXGA for our digital cinema group?

Scott

------------------

HTPC: 650MHz PIII All-In-Wonder Radeon & SB Live!

Systems Engineer - Graphics and Video
www.geocities.com/Racing_Talons

·
Registered
774 Posts
Scott,

You can contact me directly...my group is responsible for all large-venue products and that includes the QXGA model.

We should have our demo units in at the end of October.

Regards,

------------------

Tom Stites

Director, Business Development

Digital Systems Division

JVC Professional Products

"My opinions do not necessarily reflect..."

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tstites:

There are a good number of applications for 1500-4000 lumen projectors with either QXGA or HDTV resolution and I can't imagine us or someone else using D-ILA technology to address those markets.
Tom,

I hope the above was meant to read:

"... I can't imagine us or someone else NOT using

D-ILA technology to address those markets."

Greg

[This message has been edited by Morbius (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Premium Member
24,992 Posts
Is there any reason to think that the LCOS chips make any significant stride in contrast ratio compared to other lamped projectors?

Thanks

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
835 Posts
What do you mean? It seems that right now contrast ratios for DLP and LCOS are comparable, around 500:1 in good consumer units and 1000+:1 in D-Cinema type projectors. I think they are running into contrast ratio limitations from the optics (whether that's polarizing filters, trapping rejected light, or something else) more than anything. Of course, that's just speculation. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
79 Posts
The contract ration for a LCoS or DLP projectors is limited by a combination of the chip, optics design and lamp.

The current limitation on resolution for LCoS chips is not the silicon, it's the lamp. Current arc lamp technology can only focus the beam small enough to work at a reasonable efficiency level with a 1280x1024 microdisplay. Lasers work well but are too expensive.

Material and structural improvements to LCoS will improve contrast ratio, resolution and reflectivity. This in conjunction with better lamps and optics will get the projector we are all looking for:

High resolution

High contrast

Very bright

Don't need a second mortgage to buy

--sdc

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
tstites,

Tom, JVC has to find a way to eliminate entirely the "halo" surrounding D-ILA panels on "consumer" display devices.

It drives me to maddening distraction if I do not use an anomorphic lens and use the zooming feature!

Has this been done on models intended for commercial venue applications?

-THTS

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Scott

It was my understanding that the JVC QXGA was a lot more expensive. If that is wrong I am sorry. I thought the DLP setups where around the $1.25K price range.

If the price is similar I fail to see why JVC doesn't succeed in winning a good share of the digital cinema business.

It would be nice to see JVC start to licence the tech to lots of other companies for development. I would hate to see DILA get bypassed such as happened in the past with good technology that certain manufactures wanted to control too much, It would be a shame to find DILA technology go the way of the T-REX due to lack of market share.

I hate sitting back thinking why did it fail and why did they not do anything about it before the writing was on the wall.

Sony are famous for it and even today they are still walking down that old path of greed, to watch yet another promising system fail.

JVC did well with VHS, so lets see if the elephant remembers how David can win against Goliath (TI).

DavidW

·
Premium Member
24,992 Posts
Kam,

"What do you mean? It seems that right now contrast ratios for DLP and LCOS are comparable, around 500:1 in good consumer units and 1000+:1 in D-Cinema type projectors. I think they are running into contrast ratio limitations from the optics (whether that's polarizing filters, trapping rejected light, or something else) more than anything."

Exactly; when are they going to make all those things better so that we get blacks that are better than the luminous gray haze I saw from the LT150 and Sharp 9000.

Steve,

"The current limitation on resolution for LCoS chips is not the silicon, it's the lamp. Current arc lamp technology can only focus the beam small enough to work at a reasonable efficiency level with a 1280x1024 microdisplay. Lasers work well but are too expensive."

I don't understand; just what does resoulution have to do with the lamp? And what about the QXGA D-ILA?

Thanks

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
79 Posts
Noah,

It is not really a resolution issue but more of a how to get low cost silicon in high yields and that makes high resolution chips more affordable. Smaller silicon is better from a cost/yield standpoint and that requires a smaller beam of light.

The QXGA D-ILA looks like a great D-Cinema product but out of the price range of most home users.

It will be interesting to see if anyone starts using lasers in D-Cinema. They supposedly have deeply saturated colors and make the optics work better.

--sdc

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.