Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I'd like to achieve:

I have one PCI slot available that I'd like to use for digital Satellite reception in France.

I'm also wondering if it's possible to make use of dScaler to deinterlace and otherwise improve movies and other programmes received via digital Satellite.

The top recommended card for Satellite reception seems to be the Hauppauge WinTV Nexus-s; but I have no idea whether dScaler supports it. It's based on a Philips chip (SAA7146A)

I know dScaler can support certain cards based on Philips chips such as the Flyvideo series.

Lifeview also make a Flyvideo DVBS card, so perhaps this is supported by dScaler. Another possible advantage of this card is that it seems to have s-video in, so it looks as though it could act as a video capture card for sources such as laser disk, as well as provide Satellite reception; but there's no mention of whether it provides for support of "Common Interface" that's needed for subscriber satellite services, and I would definitely want that.

I must be able to add the necessary bits that allow for support of subscriber satellite services. I believe I need something called a "CAM" and card reader that takes the smart card from the Satellite providor I choose.

There is also the PixelView DTV300, discussed in this thread :
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...r&pagenumber=1

mainly in connection with US satellite services.

Finally there is the PCTV sat.

Both of these appear to be based on the BT878, so presumably would work with dScaler?

My basic confusion is over whether I'm better off going for the highest quality card, which seems to be the WinTV Nexus-s, even if dScaler doesn't support it, or a card which is supported by dScaler (assuming at least one of the others is).

I'm also confused about the whole business of how I go about getting a digital Satellite providor to supply me with a CAM + card reader + the smart card. They all just seem to supply STB's, which I'm tring to avoid.

As always, any help will be much appreciated.

geoff

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dscaler currently doesn't support the Nexus-s, I don't know about other cards, btv there is a lot of sw around that supports the Nexus-s and you can use a cheap phoenix interface with a software cam (ex PMCAM) to interface your smartcard without buying expensive CAM modules.

teo

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that teo!

I had to think about this for a while and I still have some questions.

Does the use of this "Pheonix Interface" + software, work with other cards like the Flyvideo DVBS?

I don't know if the Flyvideo supports the "Common Interface"; but is this necessary when using a "Pheonix Interface"?

As I said, I'm interested in the Flyvideo because it may well be supported by dScaler.

I was wondering if anyone has dScaler working with a Satellite card.

Also if anyone from France knows how you obtain the subscriber cards from the providors without acquiring a set top box from them I'd love to know. If anyone knows and could PM me (I understand French) it would be appreciated.

Perhaps you just take the redundant STB and store it in a cupboard?

geoff

·
Registered
98 Posts
The phoenix interface isn't related to the satellite card but usually works with any sw that supports the "Multidec plugin API" (Multidec, WatchTVPro, ProgDVB,...). The "Common Interface" support on the card is not required. Take a look at http://multidec.wz.cz/en/ lot of info there!

Here in Italy you can choose if you want to rent the STB (from Sky for instance) or not; if you don't they just sell you the subscriber card!

teo

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again teo.

I may well try the Flyvideo DVBS. I wonder if anyone else has go one of these cards to work with dScaler.

I'm close to the border with Italy, so maybe I'll end up with an Italian providor.

geoff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.