Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have a Digital Screech that is very short before lock on

It scares the living crap out of me if I forget to turn the volume down.This happens with all players PowerDVD3.0,Win 3.0,Zoom

and direct DVD.The Sound card is a SoundBlaster Live Value

and am using the spdif out DD and DTS does lock on after the

screech.Is there a fix for this? Would moving to one of the DC

Cards eliminate this? Any Help would be great

Athalon 1.0

MSI K7T Pro 2A Mother Board

256 megs PC 133

Toshiba 16x DVD drive

GeForce 2 MX

Sound Blaser Live Value

Win 2000 soon to be XP

Power DVD 3.0,Zoom DVD also have Win DVD 3.0 and Direct DVD

on disk,Powerstrip,XYX and DVD Genie.

Thanks Ray :p

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I've heard that it screeches upon bootup, but not when locking on. What it sort of sounds like is that your receiver takes a little while to lock on and interprets it for a millisecond as raw PCM and plays that. What sort of receiver do you have?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

I have tryed it with my Lexicon MC-1,my Denon AVR 5800

and Onkyo TXDS989 it does it with all three Just before locking on to the bit stream.It does not do it with a standalone player

and it seems that the screech is longer with the 5800 than the MC-1 or the 989 any Ideas?

Thanks Ray

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I was running WinME, I had the same exact thing happening to me with my Sony DE925. I thought it was my receiver (until I saw this post :) ). However, since moving to XP it hasn't happened. I want to clarify this with the fact that I haven't been able to use my HTPC much since moving to XP, so I'm not 100% certain that it has completely stopped.

I'm running a Celeron 700MHz on an Asus MB (can't think of the model # at the moment) with 256M PC133, Toshiba SD-M1402 DVD-ROM, Elsa GeForce2 MX, Audiophile 2496, PowerDVD 3.0, and Powerstrip.

I thought I'd chip in with my H/W config to help eliminate/narrow down any potential H/W similarities.

When I upgraded I yanked the hard drive out with ME on it and installed a new hard drive for XP. If you need me to put the old drive in to test something software related (or use the current drive with XP), let me know.

Dave

·
Registered
221 Posts
I get a loud click when I put in a disk and WinDVD opens on autoplay. Is this similar to what you are talking about?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I get the digital screach for a msec or two just after selecting a bitstream from the Audio menu or when I first hit Play in WinDVD. It never happens with the ATI 4.1 player. It can scare the hell out of me sometimes.

Also, WinDVD use to be worse before I upgraded to the 2.8 Audio filter. I use to get the screech when hitting next chapter or hitting Play after a FF. This would happen randomly. Now it is very smooth using the 2.3/2.8 combo, except as stated above.

Apparently the ATI player silences the audio stream for long enough to allow my (supposedly slow) decoder to lock on. I don't remember about PowerDVD since I took it off my system way back.

I have the Yamaha DSPA1 and I'm using Win ME w/M-Audio 24/96.

Carey

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys

I just upgraded to XP and I still have the problem

It is exactly the way Carey describes it

When you load a dvd as soon as it recognizes a digital

signal I get a .5 second digital spit.It also happens when you skip forward or put it on pause and then restart.It scares the livin hell

out of me if I forget to turn down the volume,Its like fingers

on a chalk board.I think I am going to upgrade to a radeon

card,ATI player and a Sound Card with an optical out

The Sound Blaster Live Value I have only has a mini din

spdif out and I use a adapter to convert to a standard coax RCA

Has anyone had succsess with the Radion,ATI,Win XP and

DD,DTS pass through ?

Thanks Ray

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not sure what a digital screech is, but I do hear a crackling sound just before the amp autodetects the DD signal, similar to what mrbadog described . I have ATi AIW, SB Audigy with optical out to HarmanKardon AV110; I don't use ATi spdif out cuz couldn't get it to work (haven't had time to try DVDgenie). Doesn't exactly scare me, but it's like someone kicks me in the stomach, and I can hear my speakers moan and groan afterwards:(

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
If it is a REALLY high pitched short, loud, ear piercing sound, I have heard this before. If I remember correctly, upgrading to the latest Creative Labs XP driver fixed the problem. This has only happened to me under XP with it's default SB Live! drivers. I am using a Creative Labs original SB Live! with a optional I/O card & optical out.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've never had this problem when playing a DVD, but when I was using a SBLive! card I sometimes heard it at startup. After changing soundcards, I haven't noticed it (although I rarely have the sound tuned to the PC when it's booting these days).

BTW, I also have a Sony 925 receiver, and while it sometimes takes a while to sync to a digital audio stream (esp. DTS), it's never made any noise during the transition.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I get that horrendous screach too and I've had it ever since I installed the DD/DTS pass through workaround for the SBLive and Win2k SP2 setup. I happens just as previously described. I hope I'm not damageing my speakers. IT IS LOUD!!!!!!!

tim

·
Registered
358 Posts
I also have that problem.

WinME, WindDVD3.0, M-Audio Delta DiO 2496 and Meridian 565.

It has been a problem for a long time and I have reported it to Intervideo and M-Audio but no answers at all.

///Magnus

·
Registered
221 Posts
It was beginning to look like a SB Live problem ( I too have a SB Live platinum ) until Magnus described it with the M-audio card.

What soundcards don't do this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.