AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I combine my OTA digital signal with the satellite signal through a diplexor I lose about 60% of my OTA digital signal. Alone the OTA signals are fine.

Do I have a bad diplexor or is it an STB problem (Mits SRHD5)?

Thanks

·
Registered
780 Posts
There are diplexers and then there are DIPLEXERS. For combining the signals, try one of the higher quality diplexers such as the CM 4002IFD

Regards

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jcthomas
try one of the higher quality diplexers such as the CM 4002IFD

Regards
Where can I purchase? Manufacturer?

Thanks

·
Registered
780 Posts
bob_jr:

Sorry for the shorthand; CM=Channel Master available at Stark Electronics and many other distributors of like equipment.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bob_jr
When I combine my OTA digital signal with the satellite signal through a diplexor I lose about 60% of my OTA digital signal. Alone the OTA signals are fine.

Do I have a bad diplexor or is it an STB problem (Mits SRHD5)?

Thanks
Bob

Just curious, what type of diplexer do you have?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rat Shack used to have a nice one. It was really big ( about 2 1/2 inches by 4 inches) and heavy, but it works (for me at least).

I don't know if they still carry that one though (didn't find it online). You might try stopping by your local Shack to see if they still have them in stock. YOu'll know the one if you see it (too big to miss).

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I'm using the radio shack diplexors. They work fine though I lose about 5% of my OTA signal through each diplexor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kartracer

Just curious, what type of diplexer do you have?
I bought it at Radio Shack, but its smaller than the one mentioned in this thread. Originally I ran an amplified signal through it so maybe I fried it somehow, or it just might be defective from the get go. I ordered the CM 4002 today. Stay tuned.

I'm just hoping the receiver is not having problems splitting the combined signals.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I haven't experienced this, but I use Spaun diplexers with my Spaun 5x8 multiswitch.

What I have seen is that running my OTA antenna coax through my Panamax (and presumably any other brand) power strip so severely attenuates CBS Chicago (digital channel 3) that it's unreceivable. This is on the non-DBS input/output pair of course.

What I have also seen is that using the "FM filter trap" on my signal preamp (tried on different brands) also severely attenuates CBS Chicago digital channel 3.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The problem you are seeing is not loss in the diplexer but is actually low frequency noise from the lnb that is getting mixed with the uhf signal. The Channel Master 4002IFD is specially designed to filter out this noise. I have used them on a lot of installations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.