AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard from a couple of different sources, one being my cable co. that in July, they are going to change out our digital cable boxes with one that can receive OTA HD. Has anyone heard of a box that can do this? I hope their not pulling my leg because I am holding off on getting an HD box. One of the people that told me was a salesperson at a local electronics store. I went in there looking for a HD rec. and he told me to wait until July, and my cable co. would be handing them out.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jw_Wood
....they are going to change out our digital cable boxes with one that can receive OTA HD. Has anyone heard of a box that can do this? I hope their not pulling my leg because I am holding off on getting an HD box.
A few things:

1) At this time, there is no cable box that can receive OTA DTV.

2) It's generally known local OTA HDTV is a big advantage for cableco's, because they have the bandwidth to carry it, and the DBS companies don't. Thus, they wouldn't have any need for a dual OTA DTV/cable HD STB.

3) History has shown us waiting for the next big STB, of any & all types, has never been worth the wait.

Having said all that, it might be possible, but I think it's very unlikely.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Sounds like somebody just messed up their terms - I suspect the cable company is just saying they will add a digital cable box that also handles digital HD cable channels - and they could carry the local HD channels using QAM.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

That's what I was thinking. I wasn't convinced when the customer service girl at the cableco suggested this, but when the sales person also mentioned it. We all know that salesmen aren't the sharpest pencils but this one even new what QAM was.

~ Jay

·
Registered
30 Posts
I live in Omaha, NE served by Cox. They currently offer HD on only two local affiliates, HBO, and Showtime. I am trying to decide whether it is better to buy the HD STB offered for Cox or an OTA STB. If I buy the cable box, then I cannot receive other local stations broadcasting in HD (WOWT, KPTM, KXVO, PBS) until Cox decides to offer them. If I buy the OTA STB then I will never be able to receive Cable HDTV offerings like Discovery HD and ESPN HD, assuming Cox eventually offers them.

I have also heard (another forum) that the next generation of STBs will have capability to both receive cable and OTA and that this will happen in the fall.

Ken, I read your post and it sounds like you recommend NOT waiting, but no matter which of the other options I choose, it seems like I will be missing out on something. Any other comments or recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks for all the great information!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.