AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in Western Canada, I have three options for digital television: Sun Country's Digital Cable (the local cable provider), Bell ExpressVu Satellite, and StarChoice Satellite. In each case, the available digital receivers convert the digital signal into an analog signal, like composite or s-video.

I want view, record, and capture screenshots on my PC in the highest quality possible. Obviously, there's hundreds of analog capture cards available (I have a AIW, and some others), but I hate the fact that in every case, my digital signal is being converted to analog, then converted again to digital. It seems the only way to avoid this it to not use the digital receivers, and instead hook that digital signal directly to my PC. This is where I'm lost, and I wonder, is there any such thing? Basically, a digital receiver card for a PC. My cable company doesn't provide any details of their digital television. Bell uses something called "DVB" or Digital Video Broadcast, which is supposed to be popular world-wide. StarChoice is using something else.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to interface a digital television signal with my PC?

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
While pricey, a possible path is SDI. Do a search on this forum. Another posibility is firewire.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Juventas
Living in Western Canada, I have three options for digital television: Sun Country's Digital Cable (the local cable provider), Bell ExpressVu Satellite, and StarChoice Satellite. In each case, the available digital receivers convert the digital signal into an analog signal, like composite or s-video.

I want view, record, and capture screenshots on my PC in the highest quality possible. Obviously, there's hundreds of analog capture cards available (I have a AIW, and some others), but I hate the fact that in every case, my digital signal is being converted to analog, then converted again to digital. It seems the only way to avoid this it to not use the digital receivers, and instead hook that digital signal directly to my PC. This is where I'm lost, and I wonder, is there any such thing? Basically, a digital receiver card for a PC. My cable company doesn't provide any details of their digital television. Bell uses something called "DVB" or Digital Video Broadcast, which is supposed to be popular world-wide. StarChoice is using something else.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to interface a digital television signal with my PC?
I have the same problem with my Cable provider here in the UK. I had looked into this a while back and it seemed like the only company manufacturing this type of card was based in the U.S and if I remember rightly it was a full size pci card. The name of the company escapes me

(Broadlogic I think) They had a DVB-S DIGITAL TV receiver. I had spoken to them and They believed it wouldnt work here(uk) even if I could get it past the licensing issues etc etc. Hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.